Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming Computer - CPU, GPU, PSU, MOBO?  (Read 2753 times)

EzekialRitchie

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Gaming Computer - CPU, GPU, PSU, MOBO?
    « on: September 18, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
    Hello!!! Recently I have been having trouble with what CPU,GPU,PSU, and MOBO to get. I have a build list, but it is not
    complete due to the fact that I cannot seem to come up with a reasoning to what CPU, GPU, PSU, and MOBO I should get.
    My budget is around the $800-$900 price range, and I would like for someone to give me suggestions as to what else they would
    recommend.  As for the Case, OS, RAM, and Hard Drive...I think I have made up my mind that I would most likely include those in my build....  Here is the uncompleted "build list": http://pastebin.com/x1kcKLUks
    Are the components that I have chosen so far compatible with the others that you may suggest? Are these components good?
    With my price range taken into consideration I was thinking about getting a GeForce GTX 770. Would this Graphics Card be able
    to run computer-intensive games (Such as ARMA 3, Planetside 2, BioShock Infinte) at a high FPS at really high settings? If not, please
    recommend one, as well as a CPU, MOBO, and PSU. As for a CPU and MOBO I have been in an argument over whether I should get an
    Intel CPU or AMD taken into consideration my price range and how expensive my GPU is (Because I DO NOT want to get an expensive
    CPU and MOBO that will force me to get a Bad-Performing GPU). Which do you suggest I should get?
    And finally, as for a PSU I would like a good quality, 80+ certified PSU that will power all my components well without exceeding my
    price range. Thank you SOO much for spending your time helping me, and have a nice day!!  :)

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Gaming Computer - CPU, GPU, PSU, MOBO?
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 05:51:46 AM »
    Your pastebin link is dead but I'll continue based on a rough idea of what you could get for your budget assuming your case, RAM and HDD aren't anything insane.

CPU: In your price range you can easily get some sort of Intel Core i5 such as a 4690k

Motherboard:  Look at ones with the Z97 chipset from Gigabyte or ASUS - You don't need anything crazy.

GPU: I'd generally pick this last so you know how much you have left to spend, then get the best you can afford.  I'd expect something like the NVIDIA GeForce 760/770 or something like an AMD Radeon R9 280x.  Either would be fine for most stuff, just bear in mind that if you want to run Linux, AMD's driver support is terrible so you would be best with NVIDIA in this case.

PSU: Assuming that you don't go crazy for the video card, 550w would be fine, maybe 650w for a bit more headroom.  I'd then look at just getting a good brand like XFX, Seasonic, Corsair (Not CX or VS), Antec, SuperFlower.etc.  Stuff like modular cables is nice, but that is really up to you whether you want to spend the extra or not.

I would also strongly recommend getting an SSD if your budget allows, Crucual do some very good reasonably priced ones.