Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop keyboard not working  (Read 3615 times)

itmup

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    laptop keyboard not working
    « on: December 12, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »
    hi, new here. had my powerjack replaced. checked all the plug ins and ribbon cables, but keyboard now not working. help!thanks john      Additional info:windows 7, standard ps/2 keyboard, computer shows "keyboard device working". Driver ok, checked for driver update,but no new driver.Thank again!
    « Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:44:43 PM by itmup »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: laptop keyboard not working
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:59:48 AM »
    Any info on the history of this computer.... was the keyboard working fine up until a repair or found to be broken on a computer that was found that your trying to get working again. Are you able to use a USB type keyboard to use the computer in the meantime to verify that everything else works before sinking money into this laptop?

If its not the ribbon cable to the keyboard not plugged in etc, it could be either the keyboard itself or the onboard keyboard controller chip on the main board. Keyboard replacements for laptops can sometimes be cheap such as a Dell C600 I had was just $12 on amazon for a brand new keyboard for the laptop and worked flawless when installed. Other times the keyboards are hard to find and come at a premium or have to be bought from other dead laptops and hopefully they are good and not heavily worn etc.

itmup

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 07:33:44 AM »
      Dave, I'm using a USB keyboard now and it works fine. Before I had to call up the "on screen keyboard". I took the laptop apart twice during the powerjack fix. I gotta believe it is in a connection when putting it back together. I was very careful making sure plug in's and ribbons were connected properly. One issue is I don't know which connection to the motherboard is for the keyboard on my Samsung laptop. Maybe a ribbon flipped over?? Any more thoughts?
                                                                          Thanks,  John

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »
      It could be a ribbon flipped over as for the copper contacts are on 1 side. There is a ribbon lock clip that hopefully was unlocked vs tugging the ribbon out in locked state. The correct process is to release the ribbon lock, remove ribbon cable which usually just pops out on its own at this point with no force needed. When putting it back in, you have to have the ribbon facing correctly to the pins internal to it and with the ribbon cable inserted all the way in then slide the ribbon lock and the ribbon cable should now be tight in the connection not able to pop out easily.

I'd check to see if it popped out on you or is turned 180 and not making contact.

itmup

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »
        I can't find any info on what plug/ribbon on the MB goes to the keyboard. My laptop is a Samsung NP305V5A- A09US. Before I take it apart again I would like to know this info, but can't seem to find it. Any sites you can think of that might show this?
                                                                 Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »
        Sometimes Samsung support can share this. Usually on laptops the ribbon cable is directed in such a way with folds etc that line up to a specific location on the main board and otherwise cant plug into any other ribbon port. Other ribbons are also usually of different width etc so even if near each other its obvious as to which goes where.  :-\

itmup

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »
          Update..Fixed! Found a youtube video which showed the keyboard ribbon cable. Knowing which one it was I took the laptop apart again. The ribbon looked OK, but I released it (a bar flips up and down), inspected and repositioned it in the slot. Must have gone in a little further because after reassembly the keyboard works. Thanks for the help and comments!

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 07:59:01 AM »
          Good to hear your system is all better  :)