Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Saving Passwords Without Notification  (Read 3295 times)

Idjit BoB

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Computer Saving Passwords Without Notification
    « on: March 06, 2015, 06:25:28 AM »
    Is there a way to scan a computer to see if there are usernames and passwords being saved on it?

Long explanation below.

I installed the LastPass password security application on my computer. When the install was complete LastPass told me that there were passwords saved on my computer and asked if I wanted to save or delete them. Of course I had LastPass delete these passwords.

I never check the box which asks to save passwords so I was surprised to find that my computer was saving them anyway.

I am not finished moving all my websites requiring a password into LastPass. When I do log into a website requiring a password I save it to LastPass. I then created a more secure password at the website through LastPass.

Typically when logging into any website that is saved in LastPass it is recognized and a little icon shows up in the username and password box of the website. The website I last tried to secure through LastPass as described above was not recognized and the old password showed up and the site wouldn't allow me to log in.

This is what led me to the question above. Is there a way to scan a computer to see if there are usernames and passwords being saved on it?

Any help is appreciated.
    Idjit BoB
    aka Wayne

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer Saving Passwords Without Notification
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:41:22 AM »
    The computer doesn't save passwords - however, various applications may (your browser, Last Pass, etc) may save them depending on your settings. You can change the settings in your browser to save or not save passwords. If you want to delete all existing saved passwords you can do so from within your browser's options.

BTW, I moved this out of the malware forum for obvious reasons.

Idjit BoB

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »
      That's fine that you moved it. I only posted it in Computers "Viruses and  Spyware" because of the sub-heading which included "Security". I will probably make this type of mistake often.

Thanks for your response.

I have Firefox and IE11 and tried those options already to no avail. I also tried suggestions from the following website with no luck.

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-do-i-find-stored-passwords-on-my-computer.html

When I make these changes I always restart my computer just to be sure my changes take. I have also been running Avast! full scan a lot to be sure I don't have someone sneaking a peek at my system.

Is there any other ideas you or someone else may have?

Also do you know of any third party software might help me find out how this could be happening?

Thanks again for your comments.
      Idjit BoB
      aka Wayne

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »
      download and install ccleaner free (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner). Close all browsers Run ccleaner and choose the options to delete all cookies and the index.dat file.  Reboot.

Idjit BoB

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
        Interesting. Even though I have the browser (IE11 or Firefox 36.0) clear history CCleaner still found cookies associated with them. I should have captured the window on what CCleaner deleted to post but forgot.

The website I was having an issue with seems to have disappeared... the issue that is. The old password did not reappear.

I feel better now and although I'm sure there are other things I could do to beef up my security let's just say at least I'm not running a server out of my home.   ;D

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Allan.

BTW I used SpeedZooka to clean up things on my PC and it missed these items which CCleaner found. I'm not knocking SpeedZooka maybe it's strength lies elsewhere like registry clean-up.

Thanks again for your help.
        Idjit BoB
        aka Wayne

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 08:52:48 PM »
        Interesting. Even though I have the browser (IE11 or Firefox 36.0) clear history CCleaner still found cookies associated with them. I should have captured the window on what CCleaner deleted to post but forgot.
        I'm not 100% on what you are indicating here, but if you use Firefox and not IE and wonder why there are IE cookies, it is because a lot of software uses IE libraries. Programs such as Steam, Windows Help, and a lot of other applications will use IE's rendering library to provide a "web-like" experience. So for example opening "Windows Help and Support" will cause cookies and cache information to appear that is associated with Internet Explorer. This is nothing to be alarmed about under most circumstances.

BTW I used SpeedZooka to clean up things on my PC and it missed these items which CCleaner found. I'm not knocking SpeedZooka maybe it's strength lies elsewhere like registry clean-up.

This topic comes up often. And I've written a lot about it myself but basically, Registry cleaners are quite useless, and tools designed to "clean the registry" are often responsible for far greater harm than any good they can be associated with. They are marketed in extremely unethical ways, often with outright lies that the uninitiated person will find interesting, because they will put their trust in the software company to not be lying to them, which unfortunately is almost never the case.

fallacies about the Windows Registry is typically how the software is marketed as being useful. Usually, the vendor will say that their registry cleaner will fix Registry Errors, and will "clean" the registry. This is a problematic claim because the Registry is effectively a centralized database. The software my  company makes reads and writes information to the registry; the software Microsoft makes does the same, and so on; but the thing is, other applications aren't going to know anything about how other programs are storing and using that data. Typically, the approach the software takes is to try to effectively "guess" what the registry data is. So for example if it see' s a value that kinda looks like a File path, but it cannot find the file, they often register that as a registry error. The problem is that is a guess- it's pure speculation on the part of the cleaner software to assume it knows that the setting is an "error" if the file already exists. Many software programs will use registy values to indicate the next file they should use, for example, so the setting pointing at a file that doesn't exist is entirely expected.

Furthermore, most software programs aren't written with the expectation that their data will be screwed up. While one could always argue that software should always be written to expect the unexpected, other applications coming in and mucking around with their information is just going to toss a monkey wrench in the works. In the above example, after the cleaner has "fixed" the error, what if the program doesn't properly handle the case where the key is missing? Or, worse, it could start overwriting old data. Again, these are effectively bugs in the program, but they would never occur if other applications didn't put their greasy mitts onto data that didn't belong to them and try to guess what was supposed to be there.

Speed-up programs, more generally, are usually not very useful, often the background processes they run slow the system down more than any other software. Furthermore, when a piece of software claims that a system is in "poor condition" when it is a fresh, clean, Windows Install, it brings their ethics into question, in my opinion, and that is almost always what I've seen when I tested such software.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Idjit BoB

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 05:43:22 AM »
          BC Programmer:

BROWSER COOKIES
          If I recall my history the browser wars came to a head years ago when Microsoft decided to integrate Internet Explorer into their Windows OS. Netscape sued and lost. I was never fond of Microsoft after that.

That being said I realized that other programs would probably use IE libraries but never knew how. I was however surprised the cookies because I always expunge (is that a word?) my history (sites, cookies, etc.) in IE and Firefox every time I close these browsers.

THIRD PARTY UTILITIES
          I appreciate your experience working with third party computer utilities. I am reconsidering the value of SpeedZooka since it never did fix the original problem (not discussed here) regarding "ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm" which kept shutting down IE11.

That is when I started my computer repair marathon. After a couple to three days I found the solution to my problem here at "Computer Hope" which I will post in a different thread when I have my thoughts organized.

BC Programmer thanks for your valuable input.

Regards
          Idjit BoB
          aka Wayne