Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU to big? Uhh oh.. 1st build  (Read 2838 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    PSU to big? Uhh oh.. 1st build
    « on: March 18, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
    Purchased a Corsair HX750 PSU.

Background:

1. 1st build.

2. 3 mos. ago minimal computer knowledge. Went from learning what wi-fi and Bluetooth is ---> challenging myself to do a build.

3.. Will be basic home PC. Mainly file ( pic and home video storage ), with possible gaming. Nothing crazy....?

What I have so far:

i7 4790k

gigabyte Z97X gaming 3 mobo

Noctua NH-D14 fan/heat sink

Crucial Ballistix ( sport) 16gb RAM - 2 x 8gb sticks

Corsair AX 750 PSU

LG Blu-Ray internal optical drive w/ burner and BDXL

Samsung 500gb 850 PRO SSD

Internal card reader (don't laugh)

Corsair 760T case

What I still need to get:

HDD - for file storage

Another larger External HD

OS _ Leaning towards Win 7. We have 8.1 -HATE it!!!

Will more then likely upgrading my exhaust fan

Would like to add an additional fan on top or underneath HDD or HDD cooler case/fan

GPU- Want to run 3 monitors. Nothing crazy like 4k or too insanely expensive. Mainly because we have lots of windows open ( online ) @ a time.

I posted my specs. and needs in a prev. post and got a lot of comments that my PSU is an overkill unless I am doing gaming with a serious GPU.  I do intend to purchase a nice GPU.  I probally wont need it, but its nice to know I will have a powerful GPU in case I ever need it down the road.

Is there anything wrong with having this PSU that has more power then I need?  Will it affect the performance of my machine if this is more then I need?

If the answer is yes.  By adding a GPU will that help accommodate the power that is left?

I did purchase this big PSU because I thought it would be ncie to know I have the extra power if I need it in the future?  Wrong mentality?  Should I return?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: PSU to big? Uhh oh.. 1st build
    « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »
    Is there anything wrong with having this PSU that has more power then I need? 

Nope. For the intent of building a PC the PSU's wattage rating can be considered the maximum- using less power than that maximum won't cause any problems for the PC itself.

The only consideration is that higher wattage power supplies can often be less efficient at converting AC power to DC power when running at low loads, which could mean using slightly more electrical power than a power supply rated more closely to the actual amount of power being used.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:21:14 PM »
    I thought from the title it wouldn't fit in the case....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »
    The only consideration is that higher wattage power supplies can often be less efficient at converting AC power to DC power when running at low loads, which could mean using slightly more electrical power than a power supply rated more closely to the actual amount of power being used.
    No. The amount of power wasted in a large PSU is v wry small.  Years ago Apple wast he first major small computer maker to introduce switching poser supplies. Now they are the standard for the electronics  industry and are anything that needs DC power.
    This Wikipedia article is concise and easy to understand. The point being made is the the switching PUU is very efficient even when scaled down.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply
    The main advantage of the switching power supply is greater efficiency because the switching transistor dissipates little power when acting as a switch. Other advantages include smaller size and lighter weight from the elimination of heavy line-frequency transformers, and lower heat generation due to higher efficiency.
    So go ahead and use it. Uunless the connectors are not compatible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:36:41 PM »
    No. The amount of power wasted in a large PSU is v wry small.

The energy efficiency of a power supply drops significantly at low loads. Therefore it is important to match the capacity of a power supply to the power needs of the computer. Efficiency generally peaks at about 50–75% load. The curve varies from model to model (examples of how this curve looks can be seen on test reports of energy efficient models found on the 80 PLUS website.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:03:54 PM »
    BC_Programmer,
    I went to that site and it mows says something different. Apparently they had read my authoritative post and tinged the rowing considerably.

Or maybe what  you read was a critical remark about the competition. 80 PLUS Certified claims very good scaling over a wide poser range.

Lets do an example using their statements.
    Let us say one has bough a 800 watt power supply that is PC compatible.  They claim up to 80 % efficiency at full power. Doing the math, you would get 800 watts out with a loss of 200  watts expected. A power factor of 0.9 is good.

But what if we only needed 80 watts, not 800 watts. Using the data they gave, you would loose 20 watts, not 200. This is typical of a modern well-designed switch mode poser supply.

What about idle power? To stat up the small IC used to control the switch mode takes about one watt of power, Or less. (More  information about switch mode ICs  is in the Motorola Analog IC library.)

Additional materail:
    Will a Better Power Supply Cut you Usage?
    The 80 Plus program has expanded significantly since the first specification was adopted. Valid levels now include Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and a currently unused Titanium specification level. The chart below lists the requirements a PSU must meet to be certified. ...
    Unfortunately, the author goes on to babble and gargle about what he does not understand. Like "You can't save the power you don't use."   ::)
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:18:56 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
    BC_Programmer,
    I went to that site and it mows says something different. Apparently they had read my authoritative post and tinged the rowing considerably.
    The quote is from wikipedia.

Lets do an example using their statements.
    Let us say one has bough a 800 watt power supply that is PC compatible.  They claim up to 80 % efficiency at full power. Doing the math, you would get 800 watts out with a loss of 200  watts expected. A power factor of 0.9 is good.
    80+ certification means that the efficiency is 80% or higher (not up to) with 20%, 50%, and 100% loads. It is not a flat rate. The ceritifcation documents and listings show the rated efficiencies of supplies from each manufacturer, and within each list there is an obvious trend whereby all power supplies are most efficent at around 50% load.

By way of example, the CMPSU-1000HX has a listed efficiency at 20% of 81.06%; thus, drawing 200 watts with this supply will be 81.06% efficient. In comparison, The CMPSU-450VX at 50% load has a listed efficiency of 83.77%.

The 450-Watt CMPSU-450VX is more efficient for loads of 200 Watts than the 1000 Watt CMPSU-1000HX. This is demonstrated with the 80+ certification data.

In general a Power supply will be less efficient at lower loads and at higher loads, with a "sweet spot" at 80%. This can be observed within the chart. I chose Corsair in this case but any manufacturer with a lot of rated supplies will work; All of them list a higher efficiency at 50% than at either 20% or 100%; given that the power supplies themselves have different total wattages, the wattage those percentages map to will differ from supply to supply- a 400 Watt supply will typically be more efficient than a 1000 watt supply at providing 200 watts of power, but a 1000 watt supply will typically be more efficient than a 500 watt supply at delivering 500 watts.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
    81.06% or 83.77%. No a large difference. Let's round o9ff the decimales.
    81% or  84 %
    For output of 100 watts, the waste is 19 watts at 81%
    For the same 100 watts, the waste is 16 watts at 84%
    Thus you have saved a whole  3 watts of power by picking the more efficient PSU. At least on paper.
    What can you do with 3 watts saved every hour?  :)
    What is the yearly cost of 1 watt per hour?
    National average price of electricity is about 10 cents per kilowatt-hour. Running a 1-watt device 24/7 will use 8.76 kWh of energy over the course of a year, at a cost of 87.6 cents.
    So if the machine is on 24/7, you might save $2 or $3 in a year.   :o

At one time I would say just buy the power you need. But with new technology and materials, aural power level is now le4ss important. Quality, reliability ant he re3putation of the manufacturer are as significant as the specs.
    Now the best recommendation is to select a quality PSU and buy want your want. If for any reason you like the larger supply, just buy it and expect a slight increase in you monthly bill by a few cents.