Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!!!! HARD DISK ERROR ! URGENT !  (Read 4600 times)

Budi

HELP!!!! HARD DISK ERROR ! URGENT !
« on: July 25, 2004, 09:11:45 AM »
Hi there.

I really need a help here.

2 hours ago I went to my friend house with my Hard disk (Maxtor 60 GB ATA 133) which under NTFS File System and configured to be used with ATA 133 Cable (onboard Ata 133 Promise).
Tried to plug it in into her computer, detected in BIOS and windows but cannot display the disk drive and also the content off course.
(Her Hard disk is seagate 120 GB formatted using NTFS file system). It might be because her motherboard only support ATA 100 and SATA.
Going back home with my Harddisk and her brother Harddisk on hand (his hard disk is seagate 80gb using fat32 file system)

Starting the computer then suddenly comes out the Chkdsk before Logon Screen.
I thought, ew it must be her brother hard disk which is using Fat 32 system got disk error or something (ntfs never using chkdsk, am i right ?)
So I just let it run. ( I didn't notice that it might be my hard disk drive (X:))
Then when I start windows explorer. My secondary hard disk volume (the ata 133 one's X: )  displayed in strange character and got junk in it and my existing files gone !
And the file system changed into fat32. Furthermore the capacity become only 19 gb total (should be 60gb) with 18gb used space and 1 gb free space.

Tried using "convert" utility from windows XP pro (my operating system) to change back into NTFS
looks ok but comes with error message that it need /f option to fixed the corrupted file.
The command I've used is :

C:\> CONVERT  x:  /fs:ntfs

Take out her brother hard disk (the 80 GB one).
Start it up again, and the volume label comes back but without the content.
Nothing there. No junk and no files ! T.T
and the total capacity still only 19gb

What I have to do !!! T.T
I want to cry so hard. The content of this harddisk equal with 5 months online 24 hours x 7 T.T

merlin_2

Re: HELP!!!! HARD DISK ERROR ! URGENT !
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 03:12:11 PM »
question why have you done this was it to transfer files and why not hook it up as salve drive to do so...fat32 never uses chdisk....<scandisk for win 9x>also you should have used disk management?