Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What does this error message mean?  (Read 4893 times)

rightcharlie

Topic Starter

Rookie

What does this error message mean?
    « on: March 30, 2015, 02:30:05 AM »
    I am getting the following error message when I try to open Firefox (in which case the message is preceded by Firefox.exe) or Norton 360 (in which case the message is preceded by uiStub.exe).
    "The procedure entry point rand_S could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR100.dll.

This stops me accessing internet and firewall and virus protection is switched off and cannot be turned on. How do I correct the situation?

Can anyone help?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What does this error message mean?
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:56:32 AM »
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rightcharlie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:49:17 PM »
      It is very likely that I am being stupid here. The problem is occurring on my laptop which is preventing me accessing the internet by any means - either via Firefox or Internet Explorer. Given this, I'm not sure how I can download the suggested file. (I am corresponding with forum using my separate tablet as this is the only way I can seem to get internet access.
      Any help would be appreciated.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »
      It is very likely that I am being stupid here. The problem is occurring on my laptop which is preventing me accessing the internet by any means - either via Firefox or Internet Explorer. Given this, I'm not sure how I can download the suggested file. (I am corresponding with forum using my separate tablet as this is the only way I can seem to get internet access.
      Any help would be appreciated.

Copy it to a Flash Drive or burn it to a CD. You'll need to find some way to get the installer over.

Alternatively, you could try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt (right-click and run as administrator). I'm not sure how well that would work given the redistributable is not technically a Windows Component, though. Running Windows Update (if it works) may also cause the redistributable to be updated and fixed.

Basically, the problem is that the file is corrupted. MSVCR100.DLL is the Microsoft C++ 2010 run-time library. the function mentioned is present in that file. It is not being found because the file is either corrupted or has been replaced by a poorly-designed application installer with the incorrect version of the file.

Even if you are able to resolve the problem without reinstalling the redistributable packages, I recommend doing so to properly fix their installation. If you cannot resolve it using sfc /scannow or windows update (assuming the latter works) you'll need to find a way to get the file over to your PC. Most tablets don't have many capabilities that would allow for that (No USB ports or Optical Drive) so you may need to use/borrow another PC with that capability.

A minor correction, though I linked to the 64-bit version previously. It is far more likely that you need the 32-bit version:

32-bit version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=5555

rightcharlie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »
        Many thanks. I think I will have to get my friend to let me borrow his laptop to down load the file. As you correctly surmise I will need the 32 bit version. I will let you know how things have worked after I see my friend tomorrow. Cheers.

rightcharlie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:33:03 AM »
          Sorry to be nuisance. Have been able to copy to flash drive using friends laptop. When I try to run on my laptop I get the following :
          "Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software. The following blocking issues must be resolved before you can install Microsoft Visual C++2010 x 86 Redistributable software package". - " A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine ".

I tried to install 32 bit version as you suggested as I am running 32 bit version of windows 7.

Any further help appreciated.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »
          Uninstall any C++ redistributable packages in add/remove programs.

rightcharlie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:14:13 AM »
            Thanks for your help.
            I have removed all the C++ Redistributable entries via add/remove programs and the new program loaded successfully from memory stick. Unfortunately, however, I'm still getting the same error message when I try to open Firefox.
            Have you any further thoughts?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:36:50 AM »
            Interesting.

You could verify the file that Firefox is using.

Start a Command Prompt. Either search for "Command Prompt" via Start->Search, or use Start->Run to run cmd.exe.

You will want to navigate to your Firefox installation. You should be able to get there with this command. (Again, I am assuming a 32-bit OS install which I believe you noted previously)

Code: [Select]
            cd C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
            Now we can check what MSVCR100.DLL Firefox will find first. we do this with the "WHERE" command like so:

WHERE MSVCR100.DLL

For example, when I follow these steps, I get the following output. Note that my program files folder is different because I am on a 64-bit system:

C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dll
            C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualSVN\bin\msvcr100.dll
            C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_05\bin\msvcr100.dll

It will effectively list the msvcr100.dll files based on the order they will be found; Firefox (in this case) will use the top one.

My suspicion is that another program or program install may have inserted it's own path at the start of the system path, which defines the order that files like dlls will be searched for. That program also happens to use a old version of MSVCR100.dll, causing the issue.

With that file's location in hand, you should be able to navigate to it in the File Explorer/My Computer.

If you right-click and view the properties of the file, you can see the details. For my working copy of the file I see the following:

You may find the first file listed in the where output doesn't match and is an older version. If it is in another programs folder, you can uninstall that program. and see if that fixes it. If you don't want to uninstall the program, you can change your system path which in that case would have been changed by the program- This may not be the case so I won't include the details here. If it is in System32 than one option would be to delete the file and reinstall the aforementioned redistributable.

Hopefully this gives us more clues as to your problem.

rightcharlie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:18:03 AM »
              Have gone via start search and entered Command Prompt which I selected. I then get a box with the following:

"C:\Windows\system32\command.com

Specified COMMAND search directory bad
              Microsoft <R> Windows DOS
              <C> Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001

C>"

What exactly do I type at this point?

Sorry for being a Humpty.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 08:39:59 AM »
              OK you'll want to use cmd, not command.com. It should be present in the results for "cmd.exe".

Otherwise the steps are what I outlined. The parts in code blocks in my post, except where specified in my text, are what you type.

rightcharlie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »
                Thanks. OK, hopefully attached is a picture of the entry I made into cmd.exe
                Nothing happens and I don't know what' wrong. I know this is basic but . . .

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »
                Thanks. OK, hopefully attached is a picture of the entry I made into cmd.exe
                Nothing happens and I don't know what' wrong. I know this is basic but . . .

I'm not seeing an attached picture, unfortunately.

rightcharlie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
                  Yes, sorry. It's now turned midnight and busy day tomorrow so I will have to try and sort it when I can. (I am in the UK).
                  Feel I am at the limit of my skill set at the moment.
                  Thanks for all you help so far.