Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sabrent usb 3.0 hard drive docking station question  (Read 3443 times)

stargazr

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    sabrent usb 3.0 hard drive docking station question
    « on: March 25, 2015, 04:04:49 AM »
    Hello

I got one of these, (docking station) to try and retrieve some files from the hd of my non operating desk top. I installed the hd and hooked up the station and got nothing. I do not have a 3.0 usb port to plug the unit into, but it says it is compatible with 2.0.   On my win 8 laptop nothing pops up on screen. Going to control panel I can locate an icon for the docking station, click it and then have an option to browse the files on storage device. When I click that option, a faded button comes up, (I think it was e:drive), but, it does not react to the cursor/mouse.

I followed the hook up procedure correctly, so, does this mean the hd is inoperable? Hooking it up to a win 7 vaio all in one, stuff does auto pop up on the screen, (new device, dl driver etc) but in the end, the result is the same, a button that does not react. How can I tell if this hd is what made the desk top crash, (I had assumed it was the operating sytems inability to update, which people told me would eventually cause a crash)? Does anyone think the hd is bad or am I missing some step in trying to access it with the docking station?   Thanks for any input 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: sabrent usb 3.0 hard drive docking station question
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:04:33 AM »
    I would borrow an external HDD enclosure....this will tell you if it's the docking station gone bad...and also may help getting your datat back...

Was this unit new...or used ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stargazr

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:51 PM »
      The docking station is brand new. The manual unfortunately only illustrates how to install the hd and hook it up to a usb port.

hooked to my win 8 laptop, nothing. On recent tries, (this time using a 2.5 hd from a problematic hp laptop ), it does not even show as an unresponsive icon. On the vaio all in one, (win 7) it does react, but not getting anywhere there either. Where can I find more info on how to use this device? How does a  hdd enclosure differ from a docking station?

stargazr

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:13:15 PM »
        update...took the original HDD to the local office depot, they confirmed that it is a working unit that is able to load up it's data. They said it is not at the heart of my pc's problem. Can anyone tell me how I can definitively determine if this docking station has a problem, or point me in a direction?   Thanks

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
        The docking station has a problem...return it.

stargazr

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:22:14 AM »
          Update....got the replacement docking station. Apparently the small dent in the original ones box, was caused by a fatal blow during shipping, because the new one works great!  Not a very big deal to access material on the HDD when the station is working properly.

I was able to recover the most sought after (by me) program on it,(it was originally dl to the HDD , so I just went to the dl folder and dl again). I am now wondering about the myriad of other programs that had been installed on the old pc, are programs generally recoverable through this kind of HDD accessing? If so, any tips on how to proceed?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 05:14:42 AM »
          No...any programs on there would have to be installed on the new drive for them to work...