Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse click confusing action.  (Read 3593 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Mouse click confusing action.
    « on: April 12, 2015, 06:08:32 AM »
    I use a desk top computer with Windows 7 primarily for emails and using Excel. A problem with using the mouse has started after years of normal use. In Excel, if I click on an empty cell I get one of two results. The normal one illuminates the cell and I can then type an entry into the cell. The abnormal one, illuminates the cell but it has a flashing vertical bar in the cell. I have tried this repeatedly and I never know whether the click will give the normal or abnormal result.
    If I click on a cell that has a formula in it, normally the formula appears in the bar above and the result of the formula is in the cell. In the unpredictable abnormal case, the formula appears as usual in the bar but it also appears in the cell rather than the result.
    If the cell contains a number, I can normally simply over write that number by typing another one in. However, in the abnormal case, the flashing vertical bar appears in the exiting number and I have to delete the digits of the number before I can put the new number in the cell.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Mouse click confusing action.
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:15:37 AM »
    The normal one illuminates the cell and I can then type an entry into the cell.
    That is when you Single-Click. The Cell is selected and you can enter new contents.

The abnormal one, illuminates the cell but it has a flashing vertical bar in the cell. I have tried this repeatedly and I never know whether the click will give the normal or abnormal result.
    this is what happens when you double-click a cell. If you are sure you aren't double-clicking, your mouse may be broken.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:58:54 AM »
    If you are sure you aren't double-clicking, your mouse may be broken.
    Or you may have a finger tremor.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:48:48 AM »
      Finger tremor or a too sensitive mouse? Either way, I now understand the nature of the problem. I will try another mouse: the one I had been using for years. At the same time, I will try to control my finger better. But I am over eighty so that is not so easy! Thanks for the help.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:05:59 AM »
      I have had index finger tremors from time to time, which have resulted in single clicks becoming double, it seemed to help if I used a wrist wrest, also I have had mice which, when several years old, developed contact bounce in the little microswitch underneath the left mouse button.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
      Knowing keyboard techniques with Excel might also help.  You can use arrow keys on your keyboard to move from one cell to another.  Hitting the F2 key will put the cell into the edit mode (where the blinking bar appears), the same as a double click. 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »
      My colleagues used to laugh at me for preferring the keyboard in Excel, but now they come and ask me how to do things.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
        Thank you for that advice re using the keyboard for Excel. I do use it a lot already but I will get into the habit of using the arrows more. Also, I am being more careful in clicking when I have to use the mouse.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 11:32:19 AM »
        I am being more careful in clicking when I have to use the mouse.
        Why don't you buy a new mouse (they are not expensive) or change the double-click speed setting? Or both?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 08:41:41 PM »
          Thank you for that advice. I have another mouse which gave no problem so I now know how to avoid the double click problem.