Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nothin' but a blinkin' cursor on GX100  (Read 3332 times)

Zo

Nothin' but a blinkin' cursor on GX100
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:45:42 PM »
I have a Dell Optiplex GX100 that gave the message: invalid system disk...there was no disk in the floppy drive. Tried to reload the harddrive...nothing, installed a new hard drive.  It will not read the CDrom, I only get the cursor blinking.  The setup screen says the hard drive is there, the CDRom is there; I set it to boot to the CDRom first...nothing but the blink.  I tried a different CDRom, a working hard drive from a working GX100, moved, replaced the memory...I'm out of quick fix ideas.  There are no beeps and the CDRom spins like it is reading the diagnostics CD or reinstallation CD but neither will not pull up.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  
It was running Windows 98SE, 64MBRam, 20GB harddrive, and that's all I know (sorry).

GX1_Man

Re: Nothin' but a blinkin' cursor on GX100
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 10:37:27 PM »
I would suggest that you make sure the CDROM and hard drive have the power and data cables firmly seated. Then go back into F2 BIOS and clear the NVRAM. THis is done by pressing the scroll lock and the caps lock so that all 3 lights are lit on your keyboard. Then hold the Alt key down and press the E until it starts to beep. (This will make it beep 5-6 times.)

See if this makes any difference. I am assuming the drive is jumpered correctly and the CDROM is on a different cable? If a floppy is in there does it try to boot from that? Have you tried using the IDE cable from a known working good machine?

Was it working fine before this? What is the history of this machine?

Zo

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 06:01:36 AM »
Thank you for your response, GX_1 Man. I did as you asked (clear the NVRAM) and heard all the beeps, but had no change in what came up on the screen.
I took all the cables from a known working machine and swapped them.  The known-working machine booted up fine, but the problem machine still has the blinking cursor.
I tried to boot to the floppy with a start-up disk, but I get the same response...blinkin' cursor.
The jumpers are correct, factory set and everything was working correctly until three weeks ago.
There are lights on the motherboard and the date is correct so I assume the battery is good.
The computer was working fine, it is one of several on our school network with a network anti-virus (symantec).  It went out of warranty 9/04.  It was started three weeks ago and gave the message:  non-system disk error, replace the disk and press any key.  There was no disk in it (which is sometimes the culprit), but it would not run a repair CD or boot from a floppy.
I tried loading a hard drive on a known-working machine (another GX100) and installing on this one, but it would not boot to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:50:56 AM »
Just some random thoughts......

Just for grins, make sure you have the latest BIOS update.

The GX100 is one of the least configurable Dells ever made, but they are generally as durable as others of this era.

The error message is one that you receive with a failing hard drive, or one that is connected with bad hardware, or if you try to boot with a non-system diskette. I guess another possibility is a failed IDE channel, since a known good drive and a known good cable gave the same result. This would indicate a failing motherboard, which would neet to be replaced from an identical used unit.

And this started out of the blue with no recent hardware/software changes at all?

You might want to go to the Dell forums and post if for some of their experts, if I am missing something.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 10:38:04 AM »
To the GX cave!

Reset the BIOS.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 10:38:42 AM by Raptor »

Zo

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 10:29:28 AM »
OK.  Dell wants $179 for a new motherboard.  I'll try to get the latest bios update first, although I doubt it will load since it won't read the floppy drive.  Any ideas as to where I could get a more reasonably priced motherboard?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »
One of the reasons I don't bother helping people.

They ignore my posts. Go sort it out yourself.  :)

Zo

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 11:45:49 AM »
I don't see a way to reset the BIOS.  This is 98, second edition.  How do I reset it?  It won't read from the floppy to flash or upgrade the Bios, I tried that....See, I'm not ignoring, I just can't do everything, but I'm trying....thank you for your efforts and suggestions.

Zo

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 12:21:02 PM »
I was able to flash the bios with the floppy (I just had to do it right, the second time).  However, I still don't get anything on the screen but a blinking cursor.  I still don't see any way to reset the bios other than changing the settings back the way before I reset them.
I trust you all more than the "company" people.  :) I once had to explain what a quarter was, when we had a student put a quarter in a CDRom in a laptop and I needed to know how to remove the CDRom.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 01:37:30 PM »
I think I have a GX100 coming in in a few days. PM me if interested. I would guess $30 + shipping, but I want to check it out first. The Dell price is too high, I agree.