Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overclocking an i5 2500k with coolermaster hyper 212 plus  (Read 3219 times)

toasterberry

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Overclocking an i5 2500k with coolermaster hyper 212 plus
    « on: May 28, 2015, 03:46:09 AM »
    So recently i installed the cooler master hyper 212 plus into my gaming pc because i planned on OCing. I followed an overclocking guide from http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18338090 and it worked pretty much at 4.5. The only problem is the heat. Running prime95 for a minute got it close to 85c then i turned it off because i thought that was too high. So i started to crank it down and now its at 4.3ghz and about 1 1/2 mins in it goes to 83c and i shut it off. Thats how it currently is atm, idle it stays around 45c. I think this is too hot, is this normal? Thanks :)

toasterberry

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Overclocking an i5 2500k with coolermaster hyper 212 plus
      « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:48:12 AM »
      Also i forgot to mention, on every game i have tried with low and high settings, i always get around 60c which is high but fine i guess, i just dont want my pc to be too hot this summer.

toasterberry

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:12:45 AM »
        Just undid the overclock and tested prime95 again and now it stays between 72 and 73 c. I think there must be something wrong or something i did wrong.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 02:57:18 AM »
        Sounds as though your cooler isn't doing its job properly if your temperatures are reaching 73C at stock.  I would reseat the cooler to make sure it's making good contact with the CPU and then re-test at stock to check your temperatures are acceptable.  Might also be worth checking what CPU voltage is being applied at stock with CPU-Z, you may just have an unusually high stock voltage.