Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File checking system?  (Read 3035 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

File checking system?
    « on: September 17, 2015, 09:37:24 AM »
    I turned my computer on this morning and found the following page...I did not get to complete everything it said, but I got most of it.  I have never seen this before, ever.  Can you tell me what it means?  Do I need to do something?

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.  You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
    Windows will now check the desk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (1 of 3)
    406592 file recording processed
    939 large file records processed
    0 bad file records processed
    0 EA records processed
    69 reparse records processed

CHKDSK is verifying indexes
    463964 file

And that's as far as I got when it changed to normal Vista and I could continue

Should I be concerned over this?  I just ran a complete Virus Scan.  I  use Microsoft Security Essentials, and I did a malware check with Malware Bytes.  I have an older computer, Windows Vista, AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ 2.21 GHz, 2.00 GB, 32 bit operating system.  It's not a specific brand, someone built it for me.

Salmon Trout

Re: File checking system?
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »
    Most computers will need to do a disk check occasionally because of some small disk error. You don't need to be concerned unless it starts doing it repeatedly.  In that case you should think of backing up any important files you want to keep, because repeated disk errors are a sign of a failing hard drive, and one day Windows won't start and it will be too late to easily safeguard your data. In fact you should be thinking about this anyway.