Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC rebooting while gaming  (Read 2070 times)

Eadan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    PC rebooting while gaming
    « on: September 19, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »

Hello, I have been having problems with my PC rebooting everytime I try to play graphic intensive games for the last 6~ months (lately, MGS5 and Pillars of Eternity). Here are the PC specs before I explain further:

PC Specs : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xhn9D3

It doesn't happen during regular use, or during stress testing the CPU or graphics card, or both at the same time. But when I tried to play MGS5 for the last 3 times, my PC rebooted everytime before or just at the main menu. In Pillars of Eternity, I can play for a while, monitoring the GPU temperature, but my PC occasionaly reboots when the GPU temp is around 54 degrees C. My GPU can go upto 70C + in Furmark with no problems, and the CPU cores go upto 50C in Prime95, with no errors in 30 minutes of testing. ( They are both at stock speeds for troubleshooting)

I am suspicous of the GPU since it had one fan malfunctioning for a while, and I bought a new pair that works fine. When I decrease the core voltage, core clock and memory clock in MSI Afterburner, games tend to last longer before any problems, but on the other hand the stress tests suggest the problem isn't temp related. I already ordered a MSI GTX970 Gaming 4g as I needed an upgrade anyway , but I will be receiving it in 20 days, and want to make sure the issue is purely graphics card related before then.

I recently turned off "restart on system failure" feature in my Win7 64bit to see if I will get a BSOD, but the PC just reboots without any BSOD. I tried viewing the event logs, but don't know how to view the ones specific to the reboot among all kinds of events.

So if you have any other suggestions to find the cause, or would like me to test again with specific settings, I would really appreciate your help.