Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Odd Request  (Read 3135 times)

EricA.

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Odd Request
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:51 PM »
Hey there everyone thank you for helping me out. So I am part of the Reddit Secret Santa thing and i have an idea for something i want to get/make them. So originally what i wanted to get them was http://www.ebay.com/itm/331361758516 But unfortunately $300+ is insane so i was wondering, Is there a way to do this still for cheap? (make them only call the one number i mean.) I mean it doesn't have to be an old corded telephone or rotary phone or anything but i feel as if that would have a cooler more authentic feel to it, how would i go about making a phone do this.. It sounds like a super fun thing to try to do but i don't even know where or how to start!  :-\ ??? I'm not sure if it would be easier but maybe even a home phone that you plug into the wall would be cool. Thank you again for any advice that can get me started with this all!
"Tertiary Cobol = Heirthingamies right?" -Quantos

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Odd Request
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
Yes, that is way overpriced.
First, ask your local phone company if they offer that service.
Next, contact companies that offer:
AUTOMATIC DIALERS and NO-DIAL PHONES
These should be available for less than $65.

Some more detail about what you need may help.
Otherwise, it would have to be a DIY (Do it Yourself) project.

EricA.

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:45:10 PM »
More details? Okay, so what i am imagining is the person receiving the present will pick up the phone and dial the number to a hotline like the one in the post, and it will go through but i think what you shown me to google is what i am looking for, do you know of any really cheap ones? (Not sure how familiar you are with them or anything :P)

EricA.

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:46 PM »
http://www.phonesonsale.com/adr-210.html?gclid=CI74iaT2qskCFU47gQod6hkIng This is the cheapest i have found, do you think there are cheaper or is this as low as its going to get?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:54 PM »
Oops, I missed a post...
Okay. I think I have an idea of what you have in mind. I'm going to make this post a little longer than normal because I have to kind of do this shooting from the hip, so to speak. I can't find exactly what you're looking for by doing a Google search. Probably I'm using the wrong search items.
The dial less phone I posted is used in commercial applications where they do not want the user to dial out. That is usually a courtesy phone, I house phone, or a phone in a warehouse or someplace where it is used for a special purpose only.
But what I think you want is something for an elderly person. Perhaps somebody with the little bits of Alzheimer's or some other difficulty remembering details. Perhaps this person would like to call one of their family members from time to time if he or she needs assistance. But such individual does not need constant attention all the time, just needs to have a way to call up a friend or two when he or she is lonely or need some help.
Here's what I am thinking about. The local phone company might already know what it is I'm talking about and you can ask them if they have a special arrangement for seniors that need assistance. Sometimes these services are available for very low cost. But otherwise it can be very expensive. So you just have to ask locally.
Now, here's my do-it-yourself project. In the simplest form I would just go find a standard modern telephone that has some kind of speed dial built into it already. Then I would have somebody help me fabricate a cover that would covert that would hide the buttons from view. Some of these speed dial phones have three buttons off to one side that are used for fire, police and ambulance. But these of course have to be programmed ahead of time.
So after making the sure the phone works as it should, I would program the street speed dial buttons for a couple of friends and maybe one emergency number. Then I would place the cover back over the dialing system so that only the three speed duck buttons would show up. Then I would install this in a convenient place for my elderly relative and instructor how to use the three buttons. I would explain to her that the red button is only for a dire emergency. The other two buttons would be family members. That should be simple enough for her to remember. Because the others buttons are hidden from view, she will be confused by all the other buttons available.
Now here's a variation on the do-it-yourself project. In this one I would cover all the buttons and make them inaccessible to the elderly person. But I would do put something inside the telephone that would cause it to start one of them preset speed dial numbers after the receiver is taken off the hook. This might be done perhaps with a small relay and a capacitor. The relay contacts would close and the capacitor would momentarily allow some current to go through one of the buttons. This would simulate a button push. Of course, this would take some experimenting. But there are low power relays that can be had at the surplus electronics stores for a very reasonable price. I have not done this, but this is the sort of thing that I used to do when I used to do more things.
Perhaps somebody else here would know how to do a Google search for the exact thing were looking for. There are some cell phones that have features for dialing emergency number, but my feeling about cell phone still kind of negative. They're just too hard for an elderly person to understand, myself included.
Does this describe what you had in mind?
Or did you want a special phone that would dial Moscow in case of World War III?
Just joking.
End of dictation.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:47 PM »
I missed a post.
ADR-210 Hotline Auto Dialer
...seems to be exactly what you need. Good find!
Others are more expensive.

EricA.

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:32:51 PM »
Hmm i think i like your other take better. Take one of those old phones with the speed dial and cover up/disconnect all of the other buttons except the one that dials the number to the hotline, i have a friend of mine who does fine woodworking and i think that would be a cool project for us to do. And im sure i can find one of those phones online for like $5 or $10. Never even thought of it that way thanks a ton!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 05:38:09 AM »
Glad to help.  :)