Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor for CPU  (Read 2485 times)

tc_pole_vaulter

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • School Sucks
    Monitor for CPU
    « on: November 24, 2005, 12:11:10 AM »
    I dont know a lot about computers, but love them. Well I just found a CPU at the dump and took it home. I plugged it up to see if it would come on and it did. I then got an extra monitor we had and hooked it up. Well the CPU came on, but the monitor wasn't recieveing anything from the CPU. Its probley the wrong type of monitor or something. The monitor is an HP and im not sure what the CPU is, it doesnt say, but it has a AMD K26 Processor. It looks as if it was used for gaming. Well if you could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Dell4700

Re: Monitor for CPU
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 01:29:17 AM »
    Generally, all PC monitors meet the same specifications needed to support basic PC video/graphics (VGA, SVGA, etc.).  In other words, your good monitor should work with your good PC for basic video.  If it doesn't, it means your PC, monitor or related hardware/software is bad or misconfigured.

I'd recommend checking the components of your unknown PC in your known good PC.  Take out the drives and put them in your good PC.  Check any other components that are user changeable such as PCI cards, graphics cards (especially this), RAM and cables.  Do this one at a time and keep in mind that some stuff may not be compatible with your good PC.

Once you eliminate the good stuff as your problem, what's left is likely the cause.

Dell

BTW - many gaming machines die from overheated electronics, especially overclocked processors and graphics cards.  There's probably a good reason why it was at the dump!

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 04:50:53 PM »
    ... There's probably a good reason why it was at the dump!

I found many good computers there, most started right up, some had minor problems.

tc_pole_vaulter

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • School Sucks
      « Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 10:41:17 PM »
      Yeah, thanx for the advice, but i found the problem after i had gotten off the net. I noticed that the componet board inside the tower was slightly out, couldnt really notice. Well i pushed it in and started it up. It came on and shows a start-up screen that I think looks for the required stuff for it to work. Well it says that there is an error with the keyboard or that there is no keyboard at all. I messed with it a little and nothing. I even tryed differant keyboards. No luck. I am thinking that if I get a connector for it i can plug it in an USD port so that i wouldnt have to use it in the regular port. Well thanx for the advice again.