Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express v Windows XP wierd one  (Read 3162 times)

Dufton

Outlook Express v Windows XP wierd one
« on: November 22, 2005, 10:18:33 AM »
I started work on my home pc this morning and discovered that I could receive emails and read the preview window but could not open, reply to, open attachments or even create new emails and my contacts/address book was showing empty next to the preview screen.

I logged in as usual through my log in and am at a loss to know what to do.  My wifes log in to the same software gives her access to all of the above.  THerefore I am able to access through her connection on the same PC.

I tried contacting my ISP and they are not helpful as according to them the emails and the account are working correctly - they said to uninstall and install again - that was good except the install windwo said that a newer version had been detected and setup could not continue.

I thought about creating another login - leaving my login alone but that is not possible as windows security has prevented me from accessing the administrators duties since loading service pack 2.

Any suggestions?

Nick

Blackberry

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    Re: Outlook Express v Windows XP wierd one
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 05:08:41 AM »
    try in safe mode, the recover system option (that option that restores the registry entries from your computer) to a week before the problem, let me know if that works

greetz

blackberry   8)
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

Nick Dufton

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 05:17:45 AM »
    Thanks for replying but I am having a problem with safe mode too - the directions from the start-help and support sectrion states to use shutdown on a dropdown list - I have a choice of logoff or turn off compuer the latter gives the added choices of standby turnoff or restart but at no time do I get the option to restart within safe mode.

Frustrated

Nick

Dufton

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:31:06 AM »
    Blackberry

After much huffing and puffing I managed to get around the data executin protection problem and ran restore in safe mode but could only get the system back to where it was 2 days ago and that is no good as the problem appears to be before that - the problem remains that I am still unable to sent, reply, create or open emails I can only read them in preview and cannot open attachments.

Earlier safe mode restores said that they could not restore to that earlier date and that no changes had been made.  I tried several times to a lot of different dates but to no joy!

ANy suggestions to get my email back - my wife is now gloating that her side is OK!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 11:04:49 PM »
    I thought about creating another login - leaving my login alone but that is not possible as windows security has prevented me from accessing the administrators duties since loading service pack 2.

More details on this please. Are you the administrator?