Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Email programs  (Read 4175 times)

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Email programs
    « on: June 23, 2016, 07:40:26 PM »
    I am having difficulty with email programs.   I have successfully run one address on Outlook.com, and hotmail and gmail on Thunderbird.

I would prefer hotmail and gmail on Outlook.com, but can only get an empty folder for hotmail and nothing for gmail.    I am not happy with Thunderbird, I can't get my addresses over, but don't like it enough to stay on it.

I was using Windows Live mail for a long time, then had a few issues.

I am using Windows 7.    How can I get my emails and addresses on to hotmail in OUtlook.com - have tried many times unsuccessfully.

I have to admit there is a Sync Issues folder which I've set out below (I can't understand it)
    11:24:46 Synchronizer Version 14.0.6123
    11:24:46 Synchronizing Mailbox '[email protected]'
    11:24:46 Synchronizing Hierarchy
    11:24:46       4 folder(s) added to online store
    11:24:46       1 folder(s) updated in online store
    11:24:46 Synchronizing local changes in folder 'Inbox'
    11:24:46 Error synchronizing folder
    11:24:46        [80041004-0-0-430]
    11:24:46 Error with Send/Receive.
    11:24:46 There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error : 80041004.
    11:24:46 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Calendar'
    11:24:46 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Contacts'
    11:24:48       255 item(s) added to offline folder
    11:24:48 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Drafts'
    11:24:48 Synchronizing local changes in folder 'Inbox'
    11:24:48 Error synchronizing folder
    11:24:48        [80041004-0-0-430]
    11:24:48 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Sent Items'
    11:24:48 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Deleted Items'
    11:24:48 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Junk E-mail'
    11:24:48 Done
    11:24:49 There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web.
    11:24:49 Error: 3219. Server. An error occured in looking up the user's information in mserv.
    11:24:49

*Request*       
    11:24:49 11:24:48:0959

11:24:49 POST
    11:24:49  http://
    11:24:49 mail.services.live.com
    11:24:49 /DeltaSync_v2.0.0/Settings.aspx

11:24:49 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><Settings xmlns="HMSETTINGS:"><ServiceSettings><SafetySchemaVersion>1</SafetySchemaVersion><SafetyLevelRules><GetVersion/></SafetyLevelRules><SafetyActions><GetVersion/></SafetyActions><Properties><Get/></Properties></ServiceSettings><AccountSettings><Get><Options/><Properties/></Get></AccountSettings></Settings>

*Response* 
    11:24:49 11:24:49:0265

11:24:49 HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Cache-Control: no-cache

Pragma: no-cache

Content-Type: text/xml

Content-Encoding: gzip

Expires: -1

Vary: Accept-Encoding

X-TransactionID: b9cd009b-9ab7-4af4-af25-72804dbb7a23;BAY177-DS13;17.4.445.520;2016-06-24 01:24:53 UTC;10 ms

X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319

X-Powered-By: ASP.NET

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 01:24:53 GMT

Content-Length: 292

11:24:49 <?xml version="1.0"?>

<Settings xmlns:D="HMSYNC:" xmlns="HMSETTINGS:">

<Status>3219</Status>

<Fault>

<Faultcode>Server</Faultcode>

<Faultstring>An error occured in looking up the user's information in mserv</Faultstring>

</Fault>

</Settings>

My emails for hotmail are working ok in Thunderbird tho
    Judy

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Email programs
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
    Wish I could help, I have been using e-mail for years and never got as far into it as you have. Some notes.

Programs that you use only on-line are sometimes called 'web-mail' things. A program on you computer that you can use off-line to review mail received earlier is called an email client. Thunderbird is a popular e-mail client.

Hotmail can be used either way. You can go on line or use a local client. Most services allow you to do it either way.

AOL was one of the early services that let you use IMAP mail.

The Differences between POP and IMAP. IMAP allows users to store their email on remote servers. This two-way protocol also allows the user to synchronize their email among multiple devices, which is extremely important today, when most people have at least two devices - their laptop and smartphone.

Be aware that some e-mail clients can not send mail because of restraints imposed by your ISP. Example, using AT&T you can only send out mail if using only an  AT&T address as the sender. Real bummer! Makes it near impossible to replay to an e-mail unless it was sent to my AT&T box.

I use Thunderbird for most of my email.  I use g-mail only on-line and it is a mess because it does not sync with my portable devices.

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
      Wish I could help, I have been using e-mail for years and never got as far into it as you have. Some notes.

Programs that you use only on-line are sometimes called 'web-mail' things. A program on you computer that you can use off-line to review mail received earlier is called an email client. Thunderbird is a popular e-mail client.

Hotmail can be used either way. You can go on line or use a local client. Most services allow you to do it either way.

AOL was one of the early services that let you use IMAP mail.

Be aware that some e-mail clients can not send mail because of restraints imposed by your ISP. Example, using AT&T you can only send out mail if using only an  AT&T address as the sender. Real bummer! Makes it near impossible to replay to an e-mail unless it was sent to my AT&T box.

I use Thunderbird for most of my email.  I use g-mail only on-line and it is a mess because it does not sync with my portable devices.
      I know I can get gmail and hotmail on the web, but I guess I am fussy - I don't like the setup.    Thunderbird was OK, but I could not import my addresses over, and have to manually do it from Outlook.com everytime I write to some one for the first time.    At least my hotmail addresses and emails are all there in Outlook - I dare not remove it till I sort something out with Outlook.com

I haven't had any problems sending from Outlook.com though (from my original address, which is neither gmail or hotmail)l- I really just want one program, instead of having to open up two just to get mail.

I think I just make too much work for myself    lol

I would happily go back to Windows Live Mail, but I don't think that is operational any more.
      Judy

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:44:28 PM »
      I have  not tried this....
      To export contact information from Microsoft Outlook to your participant headquarters address book, perform these steps:

Open Microsoft Outlook.
          Select File > Open > Import and Export. ...
          Select Export to a File and click Next. ...
          Select Comma Separated Values (Windows) and click Next.
          Select Contacts and click Next.
      CSV, comma separated values, can be read by many other kinds of software, including a spreadsheet.
      Also:
      https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Export-contacts-from-Outlook-10f09abd-643c-4495-bb80-543714eca73f

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 11:05:04 PM »
        I have  not tried this....CSV, comma separated values, can be read by many other kinds of software, including a spreadsheet.
        Also:
        https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Export-contacts-from-Outlook-10f09abd-643c-4495-bb80-543714eca73f
        Actually, I have tried that, but when it got to the spreadsheet, I was stuck - I didn't know what relation that was to my address book - didn't know how to move it.
        Judy

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:52:09 AM »
        I would happily go back to Windows Live Mail, but I don't think that is operational any more.
        Windows Live Mail is still available for Windows 7.  It is part of the Windows Essentials package.  If I recall correctly, you can choose which of the components of Windows Essentials you want actually install once you download Windows Essentials and start the installation.