Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Istalling a new Motherboard/cpu.ram  (Read 4327 times)

Dave4713230

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Istalling a new Motherboard/cpu.ram
    « on: October 10, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »
    Bought a new mobo w/cpu and ram and can't get it to work.

Swapped out my mobo with new cpu and ram. Startup, It wouldn't post. Fans ran, led light on, optical drive working but no post or video. Moved my ram around, No beeps.. With all sticks removed I was getting 1 long beep followed by 2 short. Then I had 1 stick in the B1 slot, Finally got it to post Got it to the bios but could not get the OS to boot up. Tried moving my hard drive sata ports, nothing. kept getting a samsung safe erase hard drive window wanting to erase my hard drive. Finally clicked ok, and tried to erase my ssd drive, got an error window saying my hard drive was frozen and to unplug replug it's sata cable, did it with no success. Tried to reload an earlier version of windows with no success. Also removed my video card and used the onboard video

After 5 hours of frustration I gave up, removed the new Mobo/Ram/Cpu. Put in my old stuff and all is as it was.

Bad Motherboard? Bad Ram? User error?

Thanks for your help, Dave

New = Z170A ASUS Motherboard LGA1151 i7-6700K CPU LGA1151 Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C 16 DDR4 Ram

Old = Windows 10 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat pipes Corsair HX850 PS Samsung SSD 850EVO 500G (MZ - 75E500B/AM) Samsung SSD 840EVO 250G (MZ - 7TE250BW) MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 100ME Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX PS2 Power SupplyB

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Istalling a new Motherboard/cpu.ram
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »
    In your colection of things, do you have anything like a USB stick that boots up an OS?

If so, Check the BIOS for the option to boot first from a USB device. Then try lto boot from a cold start. (Power off / power on.)

Does thatr help any?

Dave4713230

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »
      yes, I do have a memory stick with recovery on it.  I tried it but couldn't get it to boot up after changing the boot order in the bios. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
      Okay, here are some other things you could try.
      Using another computer, prepare another USB stick and try again. Also, make sure there are no other USB devices plugged into the USB ports. Also, disabled or disconnect the hard drive and the CD-ROM drive. That should force the B IOS to boot from the only device available.
      If you get up to the boot screen then you can plug your keyboard and mouse back in and they should be recognized by the operating system.
      In some cases you may have to use a different port the boot USB stick. There are many different operating systems you can boot from a USB device. Many of the popular versions of Linux, including one called ad puppy Linux are USB bootable.
      Also:
       Memtest86 **
       Windows 7 and 8
       Windows 10
       Ultimate Boost Disc
      Use any of these to confirm that most of the hardware is good. But if you can not even boot from a USB stick, you may have some other issues in the hardware. Maybe the graphics device.

** Memtest86 shod be in everybody's tool box.
      http://superuser.com/questions/727959/how-to-create-a-bootable-memtest86-on-usb-flash-drive

Dave4713230

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 07:34:32 AM »
        Okay, here are some other things you could try.
        Using another computer, prepare another USB stick and try again. Also, make sure there are no other USB devices plugged into the USB ports. Also, disabled or disconnect the hard drive and the CD-ROM drive. That should force the B IOS to boot from the only device available.
        If you get up to the boot screen then you can plug your keyboard and mouse back in and they should be recognized by the operating system.
        In some cases you may have to use a different port the boot USB stick. There are many different operating systems you can boot from a USB device. Many of the popular versions of Linux, including one called ad puppy Linux are USB bootable.
        Also:
         Memtest86 **
         Windows 7 and 8
         Windows 10
         Ultimate Boost Disc
        Use any of these to confirm that most of the hardware is good. But if you can not even boot from a USB stick, you may have some other issues in the hardware. Maybe the graphics device.

** Memtest86 shod be in everybody's tool box.
        http://superuser.com/questions/727959/how-to-create-a-bootable-memtest86-on-usb-flash-drive

Thanks for your reply.  This morning I looked at the motherboard with a magnifier and found several posts bent down in the CPU socket. Not sure if it was bent from the get-go or it happened after I replaced it with my old mobo.
        Ordered another mother board and set of Ram.