Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS upgrade trouble  (Read 2284 times)

razirafi

BIOS upgrade trouble
« on: December 06, 2005, 08:52:24 PM »
Hello: Let me first give information on my system: PIII 650Mhz CPU, PC Partner ApolloPRO 133, slot1/socket 370 motherboard with VIA VT82C693A chipset, W144H clock generator, Super 133 Support 133Mhz System Bus chip, board ID 35-C957-01-22, 256 MB RAM. I am using WinXP PRO SP2 as my operating system.  I have had no problems with it ever since it was purchased. Two days ago I decided to do a flash BIOS upgrade just for the sake of doing it and to see if it will improve the performance of my machine. I did a thorough research on PC Partner's website and downloaded the flashing software (AWDFLASH) and the correct BIOS (V1214AG.BIN) for my specific motherboard. The reflashing was successful and during the reboot I updated the setting in CMOS by loading default values and saving it to CMOS.  THE PROBLEM: When I shutdown my computer the power-on indicator on the case stays lit. There is no more display on the monitor after Windows shuts down but the LED stays green, indicating that the video card is still sending some signal to it. I opened the case and sure enough the cooling fans to the CPU and video card were still running.  I was only able to turn it completely off by using the main power switch at the back of the computer or pressing down on the soft power switch at the front for about 5 seconds.  I reverted back to the original BIOS but the problem is still the same.  I can still use my computer though without any problems except for this one.  Another peculiar thing: Before and after the BIOS upgrade my machine will detect my ASUS CRW-523AS during POST and will continue to boot normally. Now the machine can still detect it during POST but it will hang a few seconds after the Windows splash screen will come out (running indicator bar will stop and there will be no HDD activity). Has anyone experienced this?
---Irwin

razirafi

Re: BIOS upgrade trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 06:06:08 PM »
Hi guys:  I was able to finally sove the problem by doing a Windows installation repair. Even if I use the new BIOS the problem has not come back. It was actually an OS problem and I would like to share this to all of you in case this happens to you too. ;D

GX1_Man

Re: BIOS upgrade trouble
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 08:07:56 PM »
Frequently it is the solution.

Mac

BIOS upgrade trouble
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 02:39:19 PM »
Hey! I flashed my BIOS last week just for the *censored* of it and it only changed the boot screen!  ???

Thanks for letting us know!  ;D

:)