Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring files from 10 to XP via SyncToy  (Read 3340 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Transferring files from 10 to XP via SyncToy
    « on: December 01, 2017, 03:06:37 PM »
    Hello

I use my Win XP PC as a back-up for my Win 10 files and folders.

I use SyncToy to do that. Recently, I have had to reset my network connections and I can't remember the Win XP path I need to copy the Win 10 files to.

In Sync Toy, my Win 10 PC wants to copy files from C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\ but how do I get the correct path to that XP folder? The XP PC is called SteveXP and the folder to be transferred should be pasted over the folder here:
    D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared documents\Visual Studio 2013.

Thank you.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Transferring files from 10 to XP via SyncToy
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »
    I have a couple of questions/concerns first.

I don't trust SyncToy.  I first came across it about 3 years ago when someone was using it and there were issues.
    upon comparing the source and target locations, we discovered files that were not being backed up and could not find a logical reason.
    if you can't completely trust your backup software, time for it to go.

and why are you copying system files, over a network, to another PC as your backup methodology.
    don't get me wrong, any sort of backup is better than none, but realise only data can be backed up, software must be reinstalled.
    you mention backing up your Win10 files and folders, you're not going to be able to 'copy' them back from your XP PC and magically restore Windows.

sounds like you could kill two birds with one stone if you switched over to a system imaging software, like Macrium Reflect Free.

I'm also confused as to your issue, you mention the source folder and where you want to put it, so what's the problem, does it give an error message or something?

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
      Hello Mark

Thanks for your speedy reply.

The 2 PCs are on the same desk in front of me and use the same wireless router.

The XP PC has about 300Gb of spare hard drive and can afford to bear the task of carrying an extra load, so to speak.

I imagined that if my Win10 crashed irretrievably, I could at least access the WinXP PC and rescue the necessary files (even though I cannot use them on XP). In other words, I use it as a CD/DVD disk.

Well, SyncToy asks me to browse to the folder on my Win 10 machine, which I do, and it gives the correct path. Then it asks for the path to XP and where I want to copy the files to on the XP PC.

In XP, I would like the folder to be copied to: D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared documents\Visual Studio 2013 (D is my hard drive on the XP PC), but I need to use the name of my XP computer before I can give SyncToy the full path - something like: SteveXP\D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared documents\Visual Studio 2013, but that doesn't look right.

I will look up Macrium Reflect Free, thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
      Having more that one backup is a conservation idea. 8)

May I make a observation.
      You are using directories that are system managed. That is, the structure of the OS wants those directories to be under the direct control of the system.

Here is what I do, using two computers with disparate OS.
      On each computer I create a new partition that is only used for either documents or portable programs. And I set the folders to hide system files that have to be in the directories for some reason.

So each computer has a drive D: that is only for documents and other thigns that are not integrated into the operating system file structure.

I would NOT use
      D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared documents\Visual Studio 2013

Instead, something that is not a part of the default file structure.
      Like maybe:
      D:\MyJunk\BackupImage
      Which is easy remember and is not manged by the OS.
      The backup image contains fines created by Maximum Reflect. For personal use the is not issue having it installed on more than one PC. At any time you can ask Maximum Reflect to mount a image file and it will let you see your stuff in a virtual drive. Normally you would  not use the virtual drive to do things. It is meant to be a way to peek into the backup archive to recover something you might have ruined. It happens.

I hope this might help some.  :)

EDIT: For me, it is easier to work with drives rather that deep directories. I break my hard drive into a lot of  partitions and use a partition for a special project I want to be separate from other things.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »
      No idea why that app would need the PC name if the correct destination path is given...can you recheck that and try again ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:48:33 PM »
        Hello Patio

Because the PC name (the name of the XP computer) is part of D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared documents\Visual Studio 2013.

When I typed in to SyncToy that path above, only like that, it gave me an error because the D drive on Win 10 where SyncToy is installed is my CD/DVD drive. That is, SyncToy needs the name of my XP PC before it can arrive at D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared documents\Visual Studio 2013 (on the XP PC, the D drive is the main drive and not any CD/DVD drive), of you see what I mean.

With putting the name of my XP PC before any path such as D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared documents\Visual Studio 2013, I was asking it to send a letter to 7, Charles St without naming the city or country - hence the error.

Anyway, I have now downloaded and installed Reflect and will take a look at it - there's a fair amount of documentation to digest!

Thanks again.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
          Hello Geek

From what I understand, you create partitions as kind of safe-houses, hidden away, so to speak?If you only back-up files that are not OS dependent, how do you back-up files that are system dependent on different OS?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:35:47 PM »
          For the Os itself, I make a 'clone' of the  whole  drive. Maybe once a month. More often, once a week, I make images of the places where I store my data I use.
          Maximum Reflect is very veritable and is, IMO, the best free backup program out there. Look here:
          https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/
          In the above he warns you about how some of the built-in backup methods of Windows might fail you when you need it the most. An excellent feature of MR is the ability to crate a 'rescue CD' before you need it. The CD has a bookable version of the Windows PE **  so that you can find the backup device and restore the lost  partition or drive.

** Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) 2.0 is a minimal Win32 operating system with limited services, built on the Windows Vista kernel. It is used to prepare a computer for Windows installation, to copy disk images from a network file server, and to initiate Windows Setup.

Notice that Maximum Reflect has a learning curve issue. You have to practice on snuff that does not matter until you get it right.

But I also use Sync toy to update my work space. Sync toy does a good  job  of updating just the things that have changed in my data files. 

Sync Toy Download:
          http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/SyncToy.shtml

Sync Toy requires some run time libraries from the .NET stuff.

As for bookmarks and passwords, I save them in a different way. I have two methods of saving passwords. But that is another topic.   

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
          When I typed in to SyncToy that path above, only like that, it gave me an error because the D drive on Win 10 where SyncToy is installed is my CD/DVD drive.

Here's where your screwin the pooch...on different drive setups drive letters are not consistent...un less they all have a volume label\
          In other words D: may be the CD drive on the Win 10 install but it may be seen as different on the XP machine...

I always give a drive a volume label in disk management...that means that in a multi boot enviornment the drive letters are consistent...IE if you have a partition/drive labelled Mine and it's asssigned D E or whatever ...it'll be the same no matter which OS/ PC or whatever it is viewed on.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:43:45 PM »
            I get it now - clever. You ghost the entire OS so that your 'hidden', partitioned files/folders can function. You must have a hard-drive capable of storing a B52 Bomber!

I will read up on both Reflect and SyncToy, so thanks for the links!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 10:45:17 PM »
            I do not have a huge hard disk drive.
            To clarify things, here is a screenshot made in Window 7. It is the Disk Manager, under Computer management, which is under Administrative tools under Control panel. (The must be an easier way to find it!)
            This shows my drive is a 500 GB drive and has seven partitions and some unused space. Unused space does not harm anything.

(This is an attachment, open it with your browser and you can see all the detail. The images is in PNG with only 8 colors, which reduces the file size )

Please note that I have given each partition a name that is easy to remember.  You can do the same. This is called the 'label' of the partition. Use labels that have meaning to you.  :)

Click on attachment to see full screen.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
            « Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:58:37 PM by Geek-9pm »