Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Putting together a new computer  (Read 3491 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Putting together a new computer
    « on: December 11, 2005, 09:53:01 AM »
    Hello, guys, It's been so long since I needed help, I nearly forgot this place.

I am putting together a new system because I got tired of my 2.6 gHz motherboard acting like one half that size (Sheesh, opening IE 6 gave me 100% CPU usage, there's something wrong) among other things that I hate. NEVER BUY AN eMACHINE!!!

I don't have all the parts yet, so I cannot put it together yet. I'll have the CPU by the end of the day, though - no less than $250, not including insurance. I looked at my motherboard and it proudly features a Dual BIOS. But we (my family and myself) are at a loss. What does that mean?
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Putting together a new computer
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 09:58:15 AM »
    From our massive database :

Dual BIOS

A computer motherboard that contains two BIOS chips, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS. This type of motherboard setup helps a motherboard recover from any issues that may happen during a BIOS update, helps protect the BIOS from any potential virus, and helps with any other issues that may arise related to the BIOS.

Also see: Motherboard definitions, BIOS

Search is your friend.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 11:08:56 AM »

This indicates other problems, so make sure on your new rig you have spyware/adware/virus programs in place, updated and being used.

I had heard good things lately about eMachines (for those who want a prefab computer), so please enlighten us with other details that made you unhappy.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 12:00:39 PM »
      From our massive database :

Dual BIOS

A computer motherboard that contains two BIOS chips, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS. This type of motherboard setup helps a motherboard recover from any issues that may happen during a BIOS update, helps protect the BIOS from any potential virus, and helps with any other issues that may arise related to the BIOS.

Also see: Motherboard definitions, BIOS

Search is your friend.

See, this is what happens when I leave for a while. I forget all that I learned.  :-[
      This indicates other problems, so make sure on your new rig you have spyware/adware/virus programs in place, updated and being used.

I will install all the usual spactacularly-updated Norton software, Ad-Aware, and all the other stuff that I have on my eMachine. And BTW, I do have a little Adware that I know of, but I cannot delete it and I have no problems - even though I am on IE 6! (Though I will d/l FireFox on my new rig, I promise)

I had heard good things lately about eMachines (for those who want a prefab computer), so please enlighten us with other details that made you unhappy.

I'm not sure what you mean by prefab, so I'll assume you mean pre-fabulous or some similar meaning. But, prepare to hear HORROR STORIES FROM THE eMACHINE SWAMPLAND

In order of chronology:

1) The speakers stopped working. Sound gave way to static, which gave way to noise.

2) While unplugging the keyboard to move the system from the family room to our newly-constructed Computer Room (The heat from that corner of the family room was unberable) The cord snapped near the plugin, making it impossible to use. I now use a Sony keyboard.

2) The DVD drive broke. Windows saw the drive, but wouldn't recognize anything I put into it. I took it into Best Buy where I bought the thing, and even the Geek Squad couldn't get the thing to function. I had to buy another one.

3) While frustrated at a sudden sluggishness on my eMachine, I pushed the monitor power button with just a tad more force than normal. But still, the button shouldn't have broken, making it difficult to switch on/off the monitor.

4) The mouse turned green. Not kidding or exaggerating in the least. My purty silver mouse looked like it molded. Also, it got clogged continuously before this, and it was difficult to reach the wheels the trackball turned on.

5) My printer stopped working, printing almost nothing, even though both tanks read out to be 1/4 full. (Actually, that might be a faulty reading, and my tanks could be empty. I'll take a closer look later today.) It is a Lexmark that came with the system.

6) The power button on the tower box broke, and we couldn't reach it without doing what we did - which was remove the faceplate.

7) The diskette button snapped off. I wasn't even applying undue pressure; I was removing a diskette to take to school (no sense wasting a CD-R) and the button came off. I'm sure it can be reattached, but...

Now, the following has been replaced:

The eMachine monitor will be reattached to the eMachine in time, but I have attached for now the monitor that will go in my new system: A 17" LCD.  ;D

The keyboard is a cheap Sony. None of the Hotkeys for Mail, Internet, etc. work because I got this as a hand-me-down from my mother. MY new keyboard on my new system will be a $50 gaming keyboard. (What did you expect from a 14-year old?)

My mouse is a cheap Microsoft mouse. I will have a trackball-less Microsoft on the new system.

My sound is part of the LCD, but I will have a 7.1 Surround sound by Christmas.

My DVD drive is a generic model. My new machine will feature a DVD writer and a CD burner/reader.

So, you see, a lot has happened to my system. To be fair, this didn't all happen on the day I unpackaged it. It happened over the span of a couple of years. But still, my Tandy lasted longer. And it was a piece of junk.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 02:51:07 PM »
      That sounds like a lot of deterioration. I especially liked the green mouse. Uggh!  :o :o :o :o Since being taken over by Gateway their reputation has improved. (I'm not sure how old yours was. What processor to give an idea of the age?)

By pre-fab I meant assembled systems by a major manufacturer rather than a home built.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 04:18:22 PM »
        It's a Intel Celeron w/ 2.6 gHz.

In other news, I only need Windows to finish my new rig up. Seems, however, that we have been upgrading since 3.1, and that diskette is long gone...
        « Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 04:18:40 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:47:39 PM »
          Sorry to bump, but I got me a problem. eMachines gave me another little... problem. I had my newly assembled zMachine, as I call it because of the Z on the box, next to the eMachine. I knocked over the zMachine. it hit the corner of the eMachine box. I pick up the zMachine, and go back to the eMachine. What do I find out? Nothing functions. Keyboard, mouse, you name it! I shut it off. I check all the connections, internal and external (I am in Comp. Tech, so I know the inside very well) and boot. NOTHING HAPPENS.

Apparently, I blew the CPU by breaking a pin... somehow. My eMachine is known for causing me... grief... but this is IT!!! I've had it with the thing! It'd be in the trash if I hadn't raised the money for the zMachine by selling the eMachine to my dad. Now, I get to work/allowance off a new CPU, and probably a new box.

Oddly, most of this deterioration started NOT LONG AFTER I STARTED SELLING IT ON THE INSTALLMENT PLAN.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Fed

• Sage
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 10:18:08 PM »
            Your life can only get better from here.  :)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 04:16:24 PM »
              Fed -  :P

You are correct, though. My dad reset the BIOS from some cable in the motherboard. Now, it works. however, I am never allowed to touch the eMachine again. ever. And the zMachine doesn't recognize my only CD-ROM drive, so I can't install Windows XP on it, which I don't have until about Saturday.

So, I guess I just wait. Well, I suppose it would help if it recognized my DVD writer that is my CD-ROM drive.  ::)

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 09:52:30 PM »
              Go into Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manaber...
              Find the CDRom and DVDRom and right clik both of them and select Remove. Exit and re-boot...Windows will re-install them for you.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 04:24:30 PM »
                Well... there's just a slight problem with that. You see, I sorta don't have Windows on the drive. It's, as the thread title says, a new computer. I won't have any OS on it until I get Win XP on about Saturday/Sunday.

I don't get it. I have the power, the Host Interface cable, and the digital audio cable. It's all connected to the motherboard... and I shouldn't need to use Windows because I have to install Windows somehow. What can I do?

Fed

• Sage
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 07:26:49 PM »
                  Two computers, two questions.
                  Q1
                  What does dual BIOS mean?
                  Emachine question asked, answered by patio & solved by your father.

Q2
                  Zmachine bios not detecting cdrom.
                  Are all the cables plugged in properly?
                  Have you tried to autodetect in bios?
                  How do you know bios is not detecting it?

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 10:23:29 PM »
                    Two computers, two questions.

Indeed, I am never out of comp. issues. About 40% are caused by myself, which explains why I have the custom text "I try to fix more problems than I cause". ;D

Q2
                    Zmachine bios not detecting cdrom.
                    Are all the cables plugged in properly?
                    Have you tried to autodetect in bios?
                    How do you know bios is not detecting it?

Yes. All cables are properly connected.

In BIOS, I see this (wording may be slightly different)

PRIMARY MASTER 0: [hard drive name, too long for me to type]
                    PRIMARY SLAVE 0: [NONE]
                    SECONDARY MASTER 1: [NONE]
                    SECONDARY SLAVE 1: [NONE]
                    IDE CHANNEL PORT 3: [NONE]

I have tried autodetect on all of them. Regardless, it shows none. A similar message is displayed as it boods, right before it whines about not having an OS.

EDIT: Ne'er mind. First off, BIOS now says:

IDE CHANNEL 0 MASTER: [MAXTOR]
                    IDE CHANNEL 0 SLAVE: [NONE]
                    IDE CHANNEL 1 MASTER: [NONE]
                    IDE CHANNEL 1 SLAVE: [DVD-ROM]
                    IDE CHANNEL 2 MASTER: [NONE]
                    IDE CHANNEL 3 MASTER: [NONE]

Second, I checked the wiring again. While checking the connection at the drive, my hand bumped the connection at the motherboard. To my surprise, it came off. I replaced the connection. Now it's OK. But, is that okay that the DVD-ROM isn't the IDE CHANNEL 1 MASTER?
                    « Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 04:17:42 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 05:16:56 PM »
                      Sorry to bump, but is it OK this way?

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 08:54:42 PM »
                      Is it working fine? That could lead to the answer for this question.