Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Booting...again...  (Read 2392 times)

yubi

Booting...again...
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:45:44 AM »
Just built my new pc. and this morning windows xp pro arrived. YaY!! i thort.. I slammed it in at the "insert system disc and press enter" screen and it was ticking away fine. The screen came up saying it was copying all sorts of files such as the PS2 bus drivers etc.. and then it got me to the screen saying "press enter to install windows xp pro, press "r" o repair... press f3 to quit.." So i press enter and nothig happend. Again and again nothig happened it was deffinatly frozen. I switched it off and began again. Only this time it wouldnt boot! It couldnt even be bothered to chek for boot up devices!! i was waiting for it to say "booting from HDD....failed, booting from Floppy....failed, booting from CDROM.....BINGO! but unfortunatly it never did. i checked through the bios and all is well. What the hecks going on?
Help would be much appriciated. Thanky
Ash ^^

Roofvogel

Re: Booting...again...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:59:05 AM »
It will not boot from the HDD unless an OS is installed

Make certain all heatsinks and fans are in working order and firmly seated.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:47:54 PM »
     yubi...... Well first of all , we will make sveral assumptions ......
    The first is ....... that you have assembled your new computer correctly ........
    Before you " SLAMMED IT IN " and had no O/S installed .....did you get proper display from the bios ......?
    The second is ...... Is your Winxp pro cd a authenic M/S original or a copy and is it bootable ....?

If the answer to both of these questions is YES .......  Then the procedure to follow would be .

Enter bios and set the pc to boot from the CD drive .......save the setting and exit .
    Open the cd drive and carefully place the bootable original M/S cd in the tray and close it.
    REBOOT the pc and Win XP Pro will begin to load .

Hope this helps

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 03:15:15 PM »
      Without a POST screen you could have a hardware problem.
      Re-slam it together gently, if that doesn't fix it then test your RAM.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 04:43:12 PM »
      Slamming it together does not make for a happy system. Take your time, and make sure it is done right. Remeber that old adage about "do it right or do it twice" (or more).