Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Converting audio tapes to cd  (Read 3506 times)

rosemaryconte

Converting audio tapes to cd
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:49:44 PM »
Am very computer challenged...and want to make a cd of audio on cassette tapes.  I'm using Windows XP, have a new HP Pavilion Media Center Computer that came bundled with Sonic and Creative software programs for copying cds, converting files etc. but there is no provision in either program for converting analog tape audio to a computer file.  I need to do this as part of my work.  Any suggestions how I can do this.  I have a learning difference so I need a way that is clear and easy.  Thank you
Robert

LegoLas

Beginner

Re: Converting audio tapes to cd
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 03:52:28 AM »

Blackberry

Adviser
    • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
      « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:14:31 AM »
      you won't only need good software, but you will need a good cable too (to connect you PC and your audio player), you can buy sutch cable in the nearest computer store :P
      Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

royphil345

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 08:27:34 AM »
      Some of the bigger wave editors are more than you need for simple recording, especially for a beginner. I use an older program called CD Wave. Very simple... Just select the right source in the Windows Mixer before hitting the record button (when opened the playback controls are displayed, click properties / recording to view the recording controls), adjust the recording level with the slider for that source. The default file quality / format is audio CD quality wave, so no other settings are necessary. The great thing about this program is the simplicity and the speed at which you can split the file into separate CD tracks when you're done recording. I've used some of the fancier recorders / editors, but I always come back to this for recording and splitting.

And it's shareware with a free trial (fully functional, no time limit)   http://h1.ripway.com/royphil345/CDWAV162.zip

Oh... and you will of course need a 1/8"" stereo plug to two rca plug or jack adapter cable. If the cable has rca jacks instead of plugs, you can add a standard rca patch cable for a little more length.  plug the stereo 1/8" plug into the line-in jack on your computer.  This is all assuming you will be using a standard stereo cassette deck with rca jack connections?
      « Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 03:57:59 PM by royphil345 »