Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard & processor  (Read 3995 times)

sonson

Motherboard & processor
« on: August 07, 2004, 10:20:25 AM »
 ???
I have a tower type computer that was built by a friend.  It has Pentium MMX, 256 RAM, 166MHz and I am wanting to install a new 3D video card that requires that i have 800MHz or higher, at least 128MB system memory, AGP or PCI Express slot. What do I need to do to upgrade my computer with minimal expense?
*HELP* Please
>:(

Addy

Re: Motherboard & processor
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 10:32:54 AM »
First of all, you should ask yourself whether it makes sense to use a (seemingly) new graphic card in a computer with components which were outdated 5 years ago (I mean the processor, the system memory is quite ok).

At least the CPU should be upgraded. What do you want to do with your computer?
I suppose you want to play 3D games on it. In this case I recommend a Pentium 4. You will need a new mainboard with a matching socket. As your tower seems to be old, it is probably an AT case. For new mainboards, you will need an ATX case and an ATX power supply.

You wrote: "AGP or PCI Express". Have you already bought the graphic card ? (or is PCI Express compatible to AGP? I don't know much about it)

sonson

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 10:40:17 AM »
I have already bought the graphics card.  It is an ASUS Radeon 9200SE. I know nothing about AGP and PCI.  Any help you could give me will be greatly appreciated.  

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 02:09:06 PM »
You should return the videocard and tell the salesperson it is not compatible.

Before you buy new components, first consult your currently installed hardware manuals to see if the additional components are compatible. I also suggest you ask the salesperson for support. You can always, post and ask questions, ofcourse.

Here are some useful articles:

PCI (Click)

AGP (Click)

PCI Express is not compatible with AGP. PCI Express is however, compatible with PCI.

If you were to upgade your computer with minimal expense, you would need to build it yourself and obtain components from the Internet. The next best option would be to locate a specialized computer store that can built it for you.

However, to upgrade your system, you will most likely have to replace everything short of the mouse, keyboard and monitor.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 02:09:27 PM by Raptor »