Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer keeps freezing...  (Read 2479 times)

rgar

Computer keeps freezing...
« on: January 13, 2006, 11:11:23 AM »
Hello, any help with this would be much appreciated....

System is an AMD 1700, 2 hard drives (80 and 40), 256 Ram and a Geforce 9800pro card.

The problem is within 10 minutes of booting up my pc freezes/hangs (not sure of terminology!), every time.  I then manually reset and it works fine. However next time I boot up same thing happens.  As far as I can tell it doesn't freeze until after I open my browser (Firefox).....Really stuck here!  Can't be doing the computer any good manually restarting all the time....Again, ta for any help

GX1_Man

Re: Computer keeps freezing...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 11:33:12 AM »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:34:26 AM »
Is this a new build or were some of the components recently added? What happened? It couldn't have always been his way.

rgar

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 04:54:53 PM »
Thanks for getting back.......PCs no spring chicken but the 80GB drive is 6 months old as is the video card but it started freezing relatively recently....I'll run thru the list you gave and let you know whats happening.

Thanks again!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 05:17:21 PM »
I'll bet you find the solution there. Let us know.  ;)
What is the age, size and manufacturer of the power supply? If an "el cheapo" and 350w and elderly,  that would be a good place to start.

J0K3R

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 07:34:26 PM »
just a thought,, check that your virtual memory isnt trying to write to A: drive