Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File History and Sync On  (Read 10200 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

File History and Sync On
    « on: October 23, 2019, 02:20:16 AM »
    Was wondering if these two overlap in any way. Eg, let’s say I use these two apps to set-up my new PC. I can use the Sync On function for all of my personal settings such as wallpaper, Edge favorites, etc. Then I can use File History to restore all of my files. Will these two apps work well together or will they conflict? Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: File History and Sync On
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 12:50:48 PM »
    Have you read some articles about the topic?
    Like this?
    https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/sync-laptop-and-desktop-windows-10-8523.html
    It is quite common that one user owns both a laptop and a desktop. Each device has its merits. A desktop has a good cost-to-performance ratio and it’s easy to upgrade a CPU, GPU, or motherboard in a desktop while a laptop is much more compact and you can use it anywhere with the portable power source.

If you have both a laptop and a desktop, you may want to sync the two devices for following reasons:

Use the same settings on two computers without spending time manually entering theme customizations, browser options, etc.

Keep frequently-used files up to date on two PCs without the repetitive work of copy and paste.
    Does that apply to you?  :)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 02:28:50 PM »
      Have you read some articles about the topic?
      Like this?
      https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/sync-laptop-and-desktop-windows-10-8523.htmlDoes that apply to you?  :)

I want to transfer everything from old Win 10 pc to new Win 10 pc. Have read many articles but could not find the answer to this specific question. I know Sync On will take care of personal settings such as Edge favorites, wallpaper, etc and I will have to manually install programs such as iTunes. Trying to determine the easiest way to handle files. I can do it from my Macrium back image except that is somewhat tedious. I discovered File History which looks like it could work well but was not sure how it works with Sync On, thus my question. Today I got into One Drive and think the easiest approach is the copy/paste my files into One Drive. I say copy/paste because the click/drag method gave me mixed results. Did some research on that issue and apparently many have same issues. Only takes seconds to copy/paste into One Drive so I won’t spend anymore time trying to resolve the buggy click/drag process. Spinoff benefit is I can now read my desktop files from my iPad.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »
      If your goal is to transfer all syuff from the old beast to the new PC i would suggest cloning the HDD...
      Macrium Reflect and/or Easus to do can do this...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 05:46:55 PM »
      EaseUS has another product called PC transfer. It does work really well and on their website here is a lot of tutorials. The free version transfers 2 apps and 500 mb of data ,the paid version is for unlimited transfers between same 2 same computers  with unlimited data and apps as well as settings.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »
      Easus to do is way more efficient for his goals...just sayin

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 11:40:18 PM »
        If your goal is to transfer all syuff from the old beast to the new PC i would suggest cloning the HDD...
        Macrium Reflect and/or Easus to do can do this...

I figured a clone of the old hard drive would not work because the new PC motherboard would not work with a cloned OS. Won’t I have big MS activation issues?

I have checked out various 3rd party apps to transfer but have read and been advised here (I think) that these programs can be sketchy and unreliable.

Using Sync On and One Drive is as easy as it gets. Turn on new PC, login to my MS account and new PC will look just like my old rig.

I do have one question though. When I open File Explorer, I have a folder nested under My PC called HP_Pavilion C: I assume this folder contains system files associated with the old PC and does NOT get transferred to the new PC. Is that correct?
        « Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:50:49 PM by artbuc »

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 04:21:30 AM »
          I meant to say This PC, not My PC.

Also, now I remember re cloning. I had asked about restoring a Macrium backup image from my old PC hard drive onto the new PC hard drive. Folks said that probably would not work so I assumed cloning would have the same issues.
          « Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:40:37 AM by artbuc »

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »
            If it doesnt work all you have to do is call activation and tell them you replaced the MBoard...they will issue a new key.