Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell laptop with no display after changing parts  (Read 3825 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Dell laptop with no display after changing parts
    « on: December 10, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »
    I've been tinkering with an old Dell laptop an Inspiron N7110. I replaced the motherboard and I was getting the 7 beeps issue, and no bootup. Unable to resolve it with some of the more common techniques, I replaced the CPU. It is powering up, and booting up now, but there is no display. I don't think I forgot to connect anything, but I may have to take a look. Any idea what area that is in? Assuming I did connect everything, any ideas how to troubleshoot?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell laptop with no display after changing parts
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
    Hi Wolfman

Not sure if you have the maintenance manual for your laptop it is available here https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-17r-n7110_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

If you have a monitor you could use the laptop VGA port to isolate the display as the problem. Is it still giving 7 beeps or did replacing the motherboard fix that problem ?
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
    Have you tried the Dell web site?
    In the USA:
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »
    This might help, I beleive this was the laptop you was working with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyR1mfzHrQk

I imagine you want to whatch the bit between: 7:15 - 7:40

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 04:39:30 PM »
      Lisa- I connected an external monitor, and still no display. The laptop was originally dead. Ruled out the power connections, so replaced the motherboard. This is when it powered up, but did the seven beeps. The rewarming technique didn't work, so I then replaced the CPU. It now seems like it might be booting up, but no display.

Accessless-I remember connecting these connections, but I may have to go back and see if the larger display ribbon is still in place.

Geek- I will begin to go through the Dell pages.

Thanks for the help, any other ideas, let me know.