Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 2270 times)

owen16

Overheating
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:21:16 PM »
I have an overheating problem with my PC.

Im pretty sure whats happening is the motherboard is overheating and shutting off. After the PC turns off the motherboard is extremely hot to touch. It usually only overheats when i run a hardware intense program (computer game). I have tried cleaning the motherboard, mother board fan, power supply fan, and every other part inside the PC. I even have an external fan blowing on the open PC case, but still the same problem, the PC shuts down about 2 minutes into a intense program.

I was just wondering if I should take my PC to the shop, and if so what is likely the problem and how much will it cost to repair/fix?

Is there anything I should try myself before I take it for repair?

Thanks for your time - Owen

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Overheating
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:43:36 PM »
For one, the inside of the computer is supposed to be over 100 degrees. It's supposed to be a bit warm. Two, when you touch the inside of your computer, you always ground the static electricty from your hands, right? Assuming that the motherboard is the issue here, it will cost a fair chunk of change to fix.

Flame

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 11:50:59 PM »
    I even have an external fan blowing on the open PC case, but still the same problem, the PC shuts down about 2 minutes into a intense program.
    I doubt you have a heat problem.
    Does it occur with many games or just one?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 07:52:43 AM »
    Does it crash during virus scans, etc.?

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 08:26:13 AM »
    You have told us nothing about the system - make/model or motherboard make/model, power supply make/model, if RAM has been tested, etc., etc. We all have to guess until we get some facts!  ::) ::)