Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Web Replication  (Read 3107 times)

LuisB

Web Replication
« on: February 01, 2006, 10:12:53 PM »
Is anybody familiar with a Web replication process?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Web Replication
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 03:29:08 PM »
Is this a homework assignment? Google it.  ;)

Flame

LuisB

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »
Thanks for your suggestion.
But is not homework.
Actually I did Google it, Yahoo it, etc it., and couldn't find the information I was looking for (I think).
They describe how to do a database replication, o how to have a replica of a web page on a personal computer for later retrieval.

Our business plan is as follows:
We create our web pages.
We have salespeople in many locations, they all make their money on commissions.
The web replica they will use, contains their personal information, but our web content.
At the same time, we can keep track who sales what, to pay the commissions.

I know we need a database, to keep track of salesperson developement,
We have no idea on how we can replicate our pages in sub-domains, and across the country, thru the internet.
I would like to have some pointers, ideas, and best approaches.
Something much more clear than those confusing results from search engines.
Thanks for your time.
LuisB

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:26:57 PM »
Yes, that's what I needed to know. I'm sorry, but I don't have the knowledge to help you. Please wait for another forum member to respond to your question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 09:59:48 PM »
You don't need "web replication".  One database, one web server.  Several domains all pointing to the same physical machine/IP address.  The scripting on the web site can detect which domain has been used to access the site and respond appropriately.

You are looking at several thousand pounds/dollars worth of web design here, by the sounds of it, plus weeks/months of development.  Judging by your opening question this won't be a "do it yourself" job.  You may even be looking for a fully fledged eCommerce site.

Look around for a good web design team - preferably one that's recommended or whose work you've seen and liked.  I can recommend an excellent firm here in the UK (no I don't work for them or get commission!).  Send me a PM/email me if you're interested.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos