Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Editiing hosts file...why so difficult?  (Read 8771 times)

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

Editiing hosts file...why so difficult?
    « on: January 10, 2021, 04:01:41 PM »
    It used to be a simple process to add a line to the hosts file either manually or by some third party software. Now it seems that all this has changed.
    There are many "how-tos" on the net, but not that I have tried has worked. In the end, it always comes down to the following error when overwriting the existing hosts file (write protected or not):

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Why do I keep getting this error message and how can I fix it?

Thanks

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Editiing hosts file...why so difficult?
      « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »
      It used to be a simple process to add a line to the hosts file either manually or by some third party software. Now it seems that all this has changed.
      There are many "how-tos" on the net, but not that I have tried has worked. In the end, it always comes down to the following error when overwriting the existing hosts file (write protected or not):

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Why do I keep getting this error message and how can I fix it?

Thanks

FIXED!
      There was an option in my antivirus/firewall software that blocks access to the hosts file!