Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual monitors not working?  (Read 2727 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Dual monitors not working?
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »
Greetings CH!

What im running is a MSI R6870 Hawk so ati 6870 which has 2x DVi 2x mini display (i think) and 1hdmi. What i had setup was one DVI to vga adapter going to a cheapie emachines lcd. I connected another DVI to vga adapter to another cheapie LCD to use extended desktop and it doesnt detect the other display at all. Neither through windows or the AMD catalyst control centre. whats up?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dual monitors not working?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
Have you swapped monitors to make sure the monitor works when set as the primary before digging further into this problem of dual-displays. Also what is the resolution you are using and does both displays support it. I saw once a while back where an older display couldnt sync up to the high res and so the new display worked and the old display was not detected and couldnt sync. When dropping the resolution down to like 1024 x768 both displays worked, but when going like 1600 x 1024 or something like that only the modern or newer display was able to handle this.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
It may be the case that your card has one DVI-I connector (Which can convert to VGA) and one DVI-D (Which cannot be converted to VGA).  To test this try one monitor and test it in the first DVI port, then in the second.  If it only works in one of the ports then this is most likely the issue.

If you have this problem then your best bet would be to use a Mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter in place of one of your DVI-VGA adapters.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
I'm thinkin one of the monitors is bad...because it should work no matter what connecters you use according to the card specs...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »
no. both monitors are working fine. i used the second monitor to another tower but now i wanna do dual screens. both are vga monitors and both have adapters from dvi. and my card wont detect the second screen. 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
You sure it's the proper version of Catalyst ? ?
Try un-installing and re-installing...

P.S. Did the card ever work properly with dual monitors ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "