Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ECC Memory?  (Read 2347 times)

MDD

ECC Memory?
« on: February 15, 2006, 05:07:51 PM »
Hi i am looking to buy some extra memory for my motherboard.

Now my question is about having ECC memory and non-parity memory, im a little confused.

I was looking through Ebay and i found a shop seller selling some ECC memory, but they said in their description:

"PLEASE ENSURE COMPATABILITY BEFORE BIDDING.Too many buyers are receiving an item of memory only to discover it is not compatable with the memory already in their PC.You CANNOT mix registered/ECC memory with none reg/ECC memory.Please ensure you know what it is you're buying as I will NOT refund/replace any more due to incomapability or buyer error."

Ok that is fair enough. So i went to the Crucial website and downloaded their checker tool to see what type of memory i have http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.asp?id=77A19E5331D926C3&tabid=AM . I seem to have currently 2 non-parity sticks of memory out of 3 slots in my computer. So based on the comment the ebayer made i cannot have ECC and non-parity memory?

But Crucial then says that my computer can have ECC and non-parity memorys, and acctually recommends me to buy some non-parity + ECC sticks.

So as you can see im not sure what to do. Can i have non-parity and ECC memory in the same computer working because Crucial seems to think so....but the ebayer doesn't??
thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 05:47:37 PM by MDD »

GX1_Man

Re: ECC Memory?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:03:44 PM »
I would NOT mix ECC and non-ECC for a lot of reasons.

MDD

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 06:39:25 AM »
so what memory would be best for my machine??

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »
Non ECC should be fine for all machines  except servers.