Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: networking windows...  (Read 2082 times)

tvarmy04

networking windows...
« on: February 28, 2006, 08:57:19 PM »
Ok ive been told by many here that i have bad grammar when it comes to posts, so from now on i will type as clearly as possible all the while typing as fast as i do without backspacing all the errors lol. anyways im trying to connect my desktop with my friends labtop that way he can pull some of my music to his labtop. we both have windows xp home and i have a linksys router with all the necessary cables. i was able to do this once while i was stationed in korea with my roommates and my computer but i completly forgot how to do it. ive already tried searching and only a few posts showed up that wernt to helpful so yea. help ....lol

GX1_Man

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 09:18:34 PM by GX1_Man »

Backdated

Re: networking windows...
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 03:52:03 AM »
I always use static IPs on any network as I like to know where everything is and exactly what's happening. One major pitfall of setting up a home network is any software firewall that may be installed. This must be correctly configured and it's wise to disable it until the network is up and running.

tvarmy04

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:11:42 AM »
i dont think i used static ip the last time i networked the comps. if i remember correctly all i did was plug both computers into a router, then just created a home network, then just shared the folder that i wanted. now when i tried that i can read my friends labtop but when he tries to connect to mine it says that he doesnt have admin rights to get into it

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 07:21:41 AM »
What about your firewall status on all machines?

tvarmy04

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »
i turned mine completly off but im not sure if his labtops firewall was on or off is there anyway i can keep it on but make the exception to his? cuz on the firewall tabs it just shows progz taht i can allow

Backdated

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 11:11:24 AM »
The simple answer is to make his shared folder writable and copy the required files to it.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »
    I would use USB Cable without any networking headache.
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!