Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pointer just stays in corner of desktop  (Read 2234 times)

figheadair

Pointer just stays in corner of desktop
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:39:10 PM »
A friend of ours recently gave us an old Gateway w/98 on it. I got it cleaned up and running pretty well. I decided to do one last thing on it which was to change the pointer settings so it did not have the trail, my daghters both said they did not like it and I was setting the computer up for them.

After I changed the setting, the pointer went up into the left hand corner of the screen and just stays there. It looks like it is "trying" to work, because when I move the mouse it changes to the select "hand" and to the hourglass and strangely enough items on the desktop highlight when they are passed over although the pointer remains in the corner.

Has anyone had this problem?

Please help

mkelley

Re: Pointer just stays in corner of desktop
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 01:30:32 AM »
I have not had the problem, but the mouse control setting in the control panel, may allow you to adjust the mouse pointer to respond appropriately.
1) verify you are using a valid or generic mouse driver for your particular mouse still--- evidently you had one earlier.
2) you set the options to adjust the travel and settings of the mouse, so it responds, based on your movement during the time you are on the set screen for the mouse options, under the Control Panel umbrella. Review all options, to ensure they are set as you wish.  Often you can say for mouse, to go automatically, to the Command foremost on the Foreground screen, so maybe that's clicked to ensure it goes to a command at top of screen? Go through all the options to verify you say what you want to happen.  

I have not seen what you describe, but given it happening to me, that is how I would attempt to resolve it.  It's simplistic, but if you have not tried it, you may need to do it. If the mouse and driver are wrong, you need to install the mouse with the appropriate mouse driver. (not much more detail I can provide here.)

Good luck-

mkelley
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 01:35:33 AM by mkelley »

Armando

Hopeful
    Re: Pointer just stays in corner of desktop
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 02:39:04 PM »
    Not sure if this is pertinent at all, but if you have a wireless mouse, make sure the batteries are working well and that the "receiver" (don't know what it's called) isn't too far away. My mouse wouldn't move for a while until I realized the thing it sends the signals too was too far away..

Again this only applies if you have a wireless mouse.