Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HTML video question  (Read 3271 times)

dipdog21

HTML video question
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:08:59 AM »
I am very new to this and was wondering if there is some kind of list of windows media player HTML commands. What I am trying to do is this: I have two videos that start up on my page when it is opened. I would like one to stop and timeout for the length of time of the other video thus when the first video is done the second will begin without the user having to do anything. If more info is needed please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.
jc

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: HTML video question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 12:44:59 PM »
You would need some special kind of plugin (i.e. ActiveX) to do this, and it would not be guaranteed to work on all browsers.  Flash is the way to go, or merge the two video files.  What kind of file are they?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:45:36 PM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

dipdog21

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:45:42 PM »
One is a windows media file the other is some kind of musical wav file linked from hosting web sights. What about some kind of delay before the <src=http> command. If I could set 30sec or so the other file will have completed and then this music file would start.
jc

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 03:04:04 AM »
You can certainly do this kind of thing using javascript, but there are some problems.  Firstly, you do not know how long it will take the media files to download; everyone's connection speed is different.  Secondly, this kind of javascript may well be disabled in the user's browser.  HTML is not really for this; HTML is about layout, it is not about time sequencing and animation.  That is why Flash (and other similar plugins) were created.  In your case, Flash is probably the way to go.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos