Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with startup  (Read 2675 times)

Mikey22

Problems with startup
« on: March 05, 2006, 01:07:18 PM »
Hey folks,
Whenever I seem to turn my computer on, its on Windows XP by the way (I know little else about it, but I can try to find out if need be).
Anyway whenever I turn it on it seems to keep restarting before loading up, then coming up with a message saying that it restarted unexpectadly, because of a problem with the hardisk. It gives 5 options, "Load Computer Normally" "Use last settings that worked" "Safe mode with Command Promt" "Safe Mode with Networking" and "Safe Mode". But its seemingly random which one eventually comes up, if you leave it to load normally again and again it will eventually come on, but I was wondering if there was any solution anyone knows. Thanks alot for any help. I really appreciate it.
Mikey

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Problems with startup
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 01:40:27 PM »
When the computer restarts, do you see a blue screen for about half of a second? When did this start happening? Do you have virus and Spyware protection? Have you made any changes to your system recently?

Flame

Mikey22

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »
Hey
Cheers for the reply, before it restarts it goes onto the loading Windows XP page with the scrolling blue icon on the bottom, then it goes dark as if it were to bring up the icons to log on from, but instead it simply stops and starts again completly at the start.
Its been going on for about 3/4 weeks now, its just steadily got worse Im afraid.
I do have Norton Anitivirus and Firewall installed (i had to reinstall it a week or two ago, but that made no difference to it starting up).
I dont think Ive made any major changes recently, its mainly simply used for work on Microsoft word etc.
Thanks for the help
Mikey

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 02:17:25 PM »
Have a read and see if this applies or helps:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1133458168

Mikey22

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:10:07 AM »
Hey, cheers for the reply. Ive looked on the link but ive already done most of the things on there, however it could be somthing to do with the drivers, this is a complete guess by the way, but whenever it restarts when it is loaded in safe mode the last thing it tries to load is "windows/system32/drivers/Mup.sys".
Could that be a problem, if I have to update this driver, how should I go about doing it? Thanks alot for any help

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »
Have a read and learn a lot!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mup.sys

<--------------------

Backdated

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 02:58:15 PM »
Why did you need to reinstall the Norton products and which exactly did you install?
Have you run chkdsk?
Can you boot into Safe Mode every time?