Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fried Parts??  (Read 1964 times)

Belgy

Fried Parts??
« on: March 13, 2006, 12:25:22 AM »
Need some advice or help.

Little info: my PC is 4 years old but still runs quite well and recently i jst got a new 200gb hdd for it but never had time to install it. But at like 2am i had nothing to do tonite so i put it in. after that, my CPU jst...burnt..or somethgn burnt or fried..smoke came out and that kinda stuff when i press the power button.

I've put in video cards and sound cards and other hdds before into my PC and never had this problem before ever. So does anyone know waht happened?

I know i'll probably need new parts but what parts? o.O

I also have a 2nd computer where i jst tried putting in my video card into it and nthin came up on screen so i presume that's probably dead.

Another thing is when i press the power button now, i can turn on the PC the fans run and all that but i can't press the power button to turn it off again and/or nothing appears on my monitor.

IT-Guy

Re: Fried Parts??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:59:12 AM »
Hmm.. doesn't sound good.  OK.. about the smoke and burning... If all you did was put in a new HDD... then I would say to look at the power supply... but maybe you bumped another component while installing the drive... you could have created a bad connection ... who knows... I guess you'll have to strip all the unnecessary parts out and start with just the PSU, MB, Memory and try to POST.   Another thing to do prior to any testing is to find out which component burnt up... just go in and sniff around... Really.. you should be able to smell a very distinct electrical smell from the problem device.

About your issue when you turn on the pc and nothing happens and you can't get it to turn off... Just hold in the power button again for 10 seconds.. it should then shut down.

Let us know what you do next.
Thanks.

Belgy

Re: Fried Parts??
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:01:32 PM »
the part that burnt up is the video card i can smell it when i put it near my face.