Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking - Windows XP  (Read 1818 times)

dj928

Networking - Windows XP
« on: March 23, 2006, 08:55:15 AM »
I am having a strange networking problem. I have 2 laptop computers with wireless cards and a desktop computer hardwired into a Linksys WRT54G router. When having networking problems recently (none of them would work with each other), I renamed the workgroup and re-ran the networking wizard directly from the Windows XP CD. I now can network between the 2 laptop computers wirelessly, but neither of the laptops will network with the desktop. I can't even print from the laptops when the desktop is on. I have a Dell desktop, Dell laptop and Sony laptop. I have disabled the windows firewall on all computers and don't know what else to do.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I have updated all firmware and drivers for the router and laptop wireless cards.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 08:58:17 AM by dj928 »

Backdated

Re: Networking - Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:20:26 AM »
Running the Windows Networking Wizard can cause more problems than it solves.
Does each computer have an IP?
Can each computer ping the others?

dj928

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:35:47 AM »
I knew I forgot to mention something. Yes, Linksys had me ping each computer from each other with their separate IP addresses, and it worked fine. They concluded that the router was not to blame. I wish I knew another way to network computers, but the Windows Wizard is all I know. It has worked in the past for me. I don't know what is going on now, but I had hoped renaming the workgroup and rerunning everything directly from CD would solve it completely.  :-?

cigarman

Intermediate
    « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 05:11:29 PM »
    Where is the printer connected to?
    Since you can ping each PC sucessfully which means your network can communicate with each other and this is not a network problem.  Did you re-name any of your computers? Particularly the one your printer is connected to, if the name changes you'll have to remap your shared printer to the new name. e.g. the old unc path =\\wotsit\epsonsty and the new name=\\thingy\epsonsty
    Provide more info on your ip, submask and was your router act as DHCP to your 3 PCs?

Cigarman

dj928

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »
    What I did is start from scratch and re-run all 3 computers from the XP disc. I renamed the workgroup and some of the other computers.

I just found some more info after getting advice from someone else who asked me to run the command \\(desktop IP address. Doing this on one of my laptops showed me the desktop's files and allowed me to print from the desktop printer. Doing this on the other laptop did the same thing (haven't tested print yet), but when I go to my network places, it will not show the desktop there. When I try to have it show workgroup computers, I get the attached error message.