Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple Monitor Help  (Read 2390 times)

Brazilian

Multiple Monitor Help
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:53:04 PM »
 :exclamationI want to set up my computer with multiple monitors. My problem is that I can't get the computer to recognize both the onboard video card and the slot video card simultaneously. The only way it will even recognize the onboard card is if I physically take the slot video card out. My computer is a HP Pavilion 325c. The onboard card is a ProSavage DDR KM 226. The slot video card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200. Please help and thank you in advance. :exclamation

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Multiple Monitor Help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 09:22:15 AM »
Depending on your BIOS, it could also be possible that the onboard video gets disabled as soon as another VGA card is in the system.  If you have, or can get, documentation on the BIOS features/settings for your motherboard, read through it and search for info on BIOS settings for video function.  

If you can't get your computer to work with the GeForce2 MX 100/200 card installed, this probably means you'll need to access the CMOS Setup utility, where you can change BIOS settings, and disable onboard video.  Assuming your NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 card only supports one monitor, you'll have to get and install a second video card.  Or, you could discard your NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 card and get a card that supports two monitors.

I believe your system has an AGP slot.  So, if your NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 card is a PCI card, you can get an AGP card and install it along with the PCI card, and vice versa.  

I run dual monitors with two video cards, one AGP and one PCI.  Both cards are nVidia chipsets.  The nice thing about both cards being nVidia is that they use the same driver.  

Brazilian

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »
The computer will automatically run off the GeForce2 MX 100/200 if it is in and switch to the onboard video card if it is out. I will go check the BIOS. Thanks.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 02:51:54 PM »
OK, then I'm betting your motherboard won't let you use both onboard and a separate video card at the same time.  Therefore, you'll have to either install a second card or replace your GeForce2 MX 100/200 with a card that will support two monitors, such as PNY VCGFX55PPB Geforce FX5500 128MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card - Retail

Brazilian

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 09:32:20 PM »
I was hoping to not have to spend any money. All well. Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 09:32:43 PM by Brazilian »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 10:37:46 PM »
I'd consider ebay and option.  Something like this: Apollo Geforce4 MX440 SE PC 64MB DDR PCI Video Card.  I had a Geforce4-MX440-SE (AGP version) in an older computer.  Assuming the bidding does not go too high, would be a good low cost option for you.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 10:38:47 PM by soybean »