Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor and Graphics Card Brightness  (Read 2428 times)

allatpen

Monitor and Graphics Card Brightness
« on: March 25, 2006, 04:08:17 AM »
Hi.

I'm new here but I hope you can help.

I have an older system, with a Hansol 920P monitor and a Nvidia GeForce 2 Integrated Graphics card. Because my monitor's old the brightness is maxed but still not bright enough so I tried setting the graphics card.

Went to Start/Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Colour Correction.

Then I set the brightness/contrast settings to weher I want them and "Saved as". I also checked the box "Automatically apply these settings at startup", and exited normally.

However, the settings revert to the original default every time I start and I have to go through the same procedure each time, finding and activating the saved settings.

Can anyone tell me why it won't startup with these saved settings?

Many thanks.

Allan

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Monitor and Graphics Card Brightness
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
Is monitor replacement in the horizon?  You might also think about installing a video card to replace your onboard video.

allatpen

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 03:42:47 PM »
Neither at the moment.

I'm an avid flight simmer and graphics presentation is all important.

I'd like to change to a flat screen but there is a divided opinion on the minimum spec for reasonable results.

Similarly, the jury is out on which cards perform best, especially at the lower end.

So, until I can get definitive answers, or the money improves, it's staying with the same set-up.

Just don't understand why the graphics card settings aren't saved for startup.

Allan

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 04:27:09 PM »
You might download and install ForceWare software for NVIDIAŽ GeForce.  Let's you save profiles.  Then, you could just enable the profile containing your saved video preferences.

You might also look for a driver update from nVidia.  I presume their drivers work with nVidia GPU's integrated with the motherboard as well as separate video cards, but I've never actually tried such a driver upgrade with integrated video.

allatpen

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 02:44:25 AM »
Yes, newer drivers work with integrated cards. I'm not sure how far that goes but certainly drivers around about a year ago work.

So far as Forceware is concerned, thanks for the information. I'll look into this.

But this still doesn't explain why my current setting  doesn't save although there's a save function. Actually, it does save, but comes up a list that nneds to be selected. My problem is that it doesn't do what it says, namely "use this setting on startup".

Many thanks.

Allan