Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new computer help  (Read 1956 times)

hekrekes

new computer help
« on: April 06, 2006, 07:21:29 PM »
Ok i have a new setup / new install and its giving me problems. Origionally nothing was installed aside from the video card, no sound card. I installed the mobo drivers, ran windows update ( legit copy of xp pro) installed ati's 6.3 drivers and it started crashing.

msi k8n neo4 platinum
amd 3700+ athlon 64
sapphire x1800xt
ocz 2gb ( 2 1gb )
antec sonata 2
wd 320gb sata2
sb audigy 2 zs

I have the dmp file but i dont know what to do with it. I turned off auto restart and it still restarts neway. It says the error is a hardware failure but im not sure what to do. I did another complete fresh install and there was no change.

It would origionally crash only when i had the video card drivers installed. i called ati and they figured it was a bad card so i RMA'ed the card and well nothing changed.

Im in tryng to run memtest86 but it wont boot from the cd. I changed the bios to boot from the cd first, i have the right file on the cd i think. Boot from cd comes up then nothing happens???

Here is the error in the event log. Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000004, parameter 2 80545ff0, parameter 3 f2000010, parameter 400010c0f

I have different ram that i can try. I dont think its the powersource my old one might work ( antec true power 430w ) ?

sorry for the long post but im frustrated and confused at the same time.

IT-Guy

Re: new computer help
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 07:31:01 AM »
Well .. it sounds like you chose some good parts to put in it...  So let's start from the beginning..  You put all the peices together, installed your OS, (so far so good?)  then ran windows update... Do you remember what you chose to install there?  Did you reboot after the updates prior to installing your video card drivers?  But you say it started crashing after the video drivers... What happened?  Was it just the BSOD?  Or did it go into a reboot cycle?  Since it's all still new.. have you tried starting over?  So far it sounds like bad drivers or software.

hekrekes

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 03:39:03 PM »
I installed the os, updated the bios /mobo/northbridge.  Ran windows update, installed pretty much everything vital( sp2 and .net and usual bs) I then installed the vid card drivers and it started freaking out. I reinstalled windows for a second time no change. I rma'ed the card and no change.  Ive tried diff drivers no change.     I got BSOD and a reboot cycle.  It happend totally randomly, sometimes it would be running for 15 and then crash or 2 minutes and then crash.  

Ive made some headway.  My time is off now. I know i set it when windows came up.  Im on my second x1800xt so i dont think thats it.   If i hit sw1 and clear cmos the computer wont crash until i install something else ( happend when i installed the sound card ( know good and working from my old computer) i hit sw1 and now it hasnt crashed in a day.  

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 05:46:12 PM »
    Try running memtest from a floppy, if it shows up bad ram it may also be the mobo.
    (Hint... MSI are in my little book of people to kill before I die)

hekrekes

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:17:43 PM »
    ran memtest standard test thru one time and i had no errors.  

im gonna go over to the msi site and see what i can find.