Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lookin' for a reliable web host  (Read 4450 times)

Kelly

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• What I would look like if I lived in South Park
    lookin' for a reliable web host
    « on: April 05, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »
    My ISP (for residential) will not let you use your own domain name. They do offer this when you are a Business customer, (read the small print. For a "Starter Business" No ! Yes for a SOHO Business at $100.00 CAD /month Double what I am paying now!!!) Crooks !

Now that I have that off of my chest...(sigh)

Can someone point me in the direction of a reliable host, I considered hosting my sites on my computer at home and darn near got a migrane just thinking about it. lol

Must :
    • Allow my own Domain Name
    • Allow Front Page Extensions (Yeah, Yeah I know, everyone dislikes FP but me)
    • Be reliable
    • (Preferably be Canadian, I like to help out fellow Canadians)  ;D

Any and all suggestions are welcomed :)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: lookin' for a reliable web host
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 08:35:58 AM »
    I've been using TotalChoice Hosting's Starter Plan; it's only $4/mo.  Has what you need, including FrontPage extensions.

Muncill

Rookie
    • Baseball is life, the rest is just details.
      « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 09:55:52 AM »
      Here is what i do. I go to www.freewebs.com and get me a site. I make it all cool( upload files and other things) then I go to  www.dot.tk and get a free .tk domain(www.yoursite.tk). What dot.tk is is it gets you a domain and when someone types in that url and goes there it forwards the person to your already made site. It is very good.

*NOTE* There is a catch with dot.tk. You have to get atleast 25 visitors a month, otherwise they will take away the domain. There is a way around this. If you get a freewebs acount and make your site, login and at the very top in the right-hand corner it will say,"View My Site". Click that and then when your site appears click refresh 25 times(I know it stupid but that is the only way to keep your domain unless you get 25 hit p/m).

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:13:27 AM »
      Do it right.  Register you domain name via an official domain registrar such as GoDaddy.com.  Only cost $8.95 per year.

Kelly

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• What I would look like if I lived in South Park
        « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 10:49:15 AM »
        I have purchased a .ca name from a reputable site. ;)

Just lookin' for input to sort out the good and bad hosts.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 11:04:58 AM »
        Argh.  Someone said "FrontPage extensions".   >:(
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

death-of-dos

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 11:22:45 AM »
        www.xeeblo.net - free hosting, different free packages too as long as you post on their forums.

does support FP when activated through the cPanel. plenty of space, bandwidth, mySQL databases and more.

get your own domain, point to xeeblo namservers, and just park it on your account in the cPanel.
        « Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 11:23:45 AM by death-of-dos »

T-Chai

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 04:56:39 AM »
        Some of these link are really quite cheap and free
        Thank for the link people

Bkid

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 08:17:35 PM »
        For free hosting, I always used www.byethost.com. It's easy, free, and really good in my opinion.  :P

tc_pole_vaulter

Beginner
        • School Sucks
          « Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 09:26:11 PM »
          Here is what i do. I go to www.freewebs.com and get me a site. I make it all cool( upload files and other things) then I go to  www.dot.tk and get a free .tk domain(www.yoursite.tk). What dot.tk is is it gets you a domain and when someone types in that url and goes there it forwards the person to your already made site. It is very good.

*NOTE* There is a catch with dot.tk. You have to get atleast 25 visitors a month, otherwise they will take away the domain. There is a way around this. If you get a freewebs acount and make your site, login and at the very top in the right-hand corner it will say,"View My Site". Click that and then when your site appears click refresh 25 times(I know it stupid but that is the only way to keep your domain unless you get 25 hit p/m).

Yeah, its called a URL re-director

I use sitesled. You would have to use a redirector though, sitesled does theirs like this....http://tc_pole_vaulter.sitesled.com

....or you could just put in the desired name of your web site as your username (e.g.  "computerhope.sitesled.com") if you didnt want to use a redirector.