Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lap top no fixed disk?  (Read 2872 times)

Saidrich

lap top no fixed disk?
« on: April 23, 2006, 12:51:54 AM »
Hi;
I have just been given a 6.4 gig fujitsu lap top. Problem! Turn it on and no operating system. I tried windows startup disk with limited results fdisk comes back no fixed disk present but I can see it. Is the hard drive shot? :-/

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: lap top no fixed disk?
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:58:14 AM »
    What do you mean by "You can see it"? Physically see it, or BIOS sees it?
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 08:15:04 AM »
    Was it working when it was received? Ether the drive is kaput or there are other issues - controller,etc.

Saidrich

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 08:49:46 PM »
    This problem has been since I got the laptop. I can see the c drive when I use a startup disk but I think it might only be the ramdrive. I just thought someone might be able to give me some advice on how to test the c. (if it is a virus on something. The statrup disk says that win 98 has detected that c does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition. It says I may need to partition  I run fdisk and the computer says no fixed disk found. Is it hopeless? :(

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 08:57:20 PM »
    Do your BIOS say that you have any hard disk present?
    You may need to set the disk up first if your computer is too old to detect it by itself.

Saidrich

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 09:29:14 PM »
    Yes the bios says there is a primary master and when I boot from the hard disk drive you can physically hear the hard drive but only for a few seconds. Then the display shows Operating system not found >:(

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 09:30:33 PM »
    find some old OS and install it. (something like DOS or Windows 3.0)

Does anyone know what would happen if you copied a start up disk to an HD?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 09:32:11 PM »
    No Operating System is much different than No Fixed Disk. How about loading a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com for say WIn98SE and partition and format the drive to see if it works?
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:32:46 PM by GX1_Man »

Saidrich

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 09:43:28 PM »
    Thanks for the link. I'll try and then I post results. :)

Saidrich

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 10:08:20 PM »
    Nope, same problem. c does not contain valid FAT or FAT32 partition I run fdisk from MS-DOS...No fixed disk present. :-?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 11:06:51 PM »
    With your boot disk, type in "Format" and see if the format program starts.
    If you want to see if your disk has patrons, type in "fdisk /status" this could give you HD information. Chances are, you will get the same error message as you got before, but its worth a shot.
    Correction: You need to copy the Format file to your HD, and from what you have posted, this may be hard. If you get it copied, use this command while formatting "format /s" it will copy the system files and allow you to boot into DOS when your computer starts.

(Formatting erases your entire disk, it is hard to recover data, use as last resort)
    (correct me if I'm wrong, I am not familiar with the commands "format" and "fdisk)
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 11:10:04 PM by zylstra555 »

Saidrich

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 11:22:23 PM »
    "fdisk"="No fixed disks present." :P I think it's the hard drive. I can't run "format" or install it in c:. the only way I can change the directory to c: is if I "findramd"
     :'( I think I'll look for a hard drive for this unit but it's pretty old. I can hear the hard drive working for a few seconds that is why I kept working on it.
     >:(

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 03:13:15 AM »
    Take the hard drive out and tap it smartly against a hard surface.  This will either unstick the hard drive (result!), or break it completely (satisfying!) - either way, you will have achieved something!   ;)

(This advice comes from lots of work with elderly hard drives, but of course is not a long-term solution to the problem.  I know that.  It was just more interesting than posting "Your hard drive is dead.  Buy a new one."  ;D )
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 08:19:13 AM »
      Take the hard drive out and tap it smartly against a hard surface.  This will either unstick the hard drive (result!), or break it completely (satisfying!) - either way, you will have achieved something!   ;)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I LOVE the brit sense of humour! ;D
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."