Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how do I get my old login files  (Read 2366 times)

nitesco

how do I get my old login files
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:02:48 PM »
My mom rescently deleted all of our login information, so when I created a new login account, my desktop, facourites, and all that have been deleted, and now I want them back. How can I do this? I am running Windows XP. I need this because my iTunes was under my old login, and I can't retrieve my library from it. Please help! Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: how do I get my old login files
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 04:49:14 PM »

nitesco

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 07:09:41 PM »
So will this give me my old desktop back? If so, what will happen to my current desktop? Also, I can't get to the properties of the folder because it doesn't show up in mycomputer. The location of the folder I want is C:\Documents and Settings\Sean.YOUR-FSYLY0JTWN\

Okay, I read the link you gave me, and it told me to right click on the folder I want to take ownership of, and the security option was not available. I have admin rights as well, and I can not disable simple file sharing if I have it.

This is so frusterating, thanks for the help though, I am slowly getting there.

pcdoc4christ

jiphoc

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:24:18 PM »
Hello all
Look I am in the same trouble as this other guy. My iTunes files are under an old login names 'user' who had admin rights and a password. Then due to complications I had to reinstall Win XP pro and now I cannot get to the files. I tried teh links above (the second one not much help at all) and I got no where because I do not have a security tab on the properties. A photo dump of the options is attached. Please  need these files back.

kartan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:49:20 AM »
In XP Pro, I believe you have to turn off idiot file sharing

Open My Computer
Tools-->Folder Options
Tab: View
all the way at the bottom, uncheck "Use simple file sharing"

Good luck!

nitesco

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
What about just windows XP?

weasel550

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 02:24:51 PM »
by "just" windows xp, do you mean XP Home, or what?
There are several methods to fix this problem:

1. Make a new admin account (and yes there is a way to do so even without having admin access)
2. Boot off a floppy or something, get the SAM file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\sam) (it contains all the passwords for all the accounts  ;D) but you can't open it while windows is still running. Get a password cracker and bruteforce it.
3. Now that I think of it...there's a much better way: if you boot off of a MS-DOS floppy or a linux LiveCD, then you should be able to access all the files, even if windows restricts them in some random way.

Hope that helps.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 03:03:59 PM »
What about just windows XP?

You cannot use disable the Use Simple File Sharing option or have access to a Security tab for a folder in Windows XP Home.

When you log on as Julia or Sarah, are you able to access your old files, favorites, etc.?  If not, what user names did you log on with before?

Doc

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 03:06:45 PM by pcdoc4christ »