Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Web articles  (Read 2327 times)

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Web articles
    « on: August 30, 2006, 12:36:24 PM »
    I am building a web site. I have one page set aside for articles and links, I would like to have just the title of the article  on the page as a hotspot. When some clicks on the title it will open a acrobat reader and can be read in a PDF format. This way I will not have to go into this page every week to change the articles. People can choose the article they wish to read.  My thought process is to save the article in PDF and place the title on the page as a hot spot. I do not how to make it work. Any suggestions

Thanks

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Web articles
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:08:33 PM »
    Have you uploaded PDF files to your web server?  Obviously, that must be done.  Then, just put a hyperlink to it on your web page in the same manner you would link to other web pages.  If you created a separate directory on your web server for the PDF files, then you need to include the path in the hyperlink.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 03:12:17 AM »
    Yes, I'm struggling to see the problem here...  If you want something a bit more automated, that would call for some server-side programming.

A bit more information about what you;'d like to achieve, please?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »
      I have not chosen anyone to host my web site, am most likely going to choose hard hat hosting
      http://www.hardhathosting.com/?id=worldstart
      The nature of my business requires that all web pages and articles receive prior approval before being able to publish the web site to the general public. So it is to my advantage to limit my web pages to 7 or 8
      I am thinking ahead because in a one to two years from now I will have only about an hour a day to devote to my website. So I am getting my article ready and approved so I can easily go in and type in a headline (as a hotspot or link)  so anyone wanting to read an article can simply click on the headline and it will open in PDF. This way instead of having to create a page for every article, I can have one page that will list every story headlines.  I was told that archiving full articles on a server can get expensive.
      Open to suggestions.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:52:27 PM »
      How can people access the articles if they're not stored somewhere on the web server?
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos