Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive jumpered  (Read 2291 times)

sam510

hard drive jumpered
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:23:48 PM »
Hello, i just recently opened my computer to take my current harddrive out and put another 1 for now, When i switched the hard drives back my computer acts funny, like it would take longer than usuall to load windows. so i let this pass for a week it didnt really bother me and then my computer sometimes restarts by its self and on the boot up it would say no hard drive is in the computer. and when i restart it it would detect the hard drive again. so i opened my computer again took the jumper cables out for 5 minutes and when i put it back in it gets passed the windows splash screen fast like before but it doesnt load the log in part its only a black screen? what should i do im sure my harddrive is jumpered correcty.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: hard drive jumpered
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 11:07:33 PM »
    sam510....

took the jumper cables out for 5 minutes
     what are you calling the jumper cables ?    ...........     or are you refering to the jumpers which set the drive as a master , slave or cable select ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 06:26:59 AM »
    What is the make and model of the hard drive? Did you move any of the jumpers on the hard drive when you moved it back and forth? Are any of the pins bent? How old is the drive?

sam510

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 11:37:56 AM »
    What is the make and model of the hard drive? Did you move any of the jumpers on the hard drive when you moved it back and forth? Are any of the pins bent? How old is the drive?
    im pretty sure i didnt bend any cuz i doesnt work on any of my jumpere cables. the hard drive is 1 year old no i didnt move and of the jumpers and the make is seagate and model is ST3200822A

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »
    What computer make and model is this? First get away from calling them jumper cables as that just confuses things. You have a 4 wire, multicolored POWER cable and a flat grey DATA cable. Is the data cable plugged in correctly? The connector is different on the top and bottom. And you did not move ANY of the jumper pins, and this is the drive EXACTLY as it was when it left this machine previously?
    « Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 12:34:30 PM by GX1_Man »

sam510

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 03:39:49 PM »
    look this is all i did. i took off the wire that connects to the hard drive. the bigger 1 not the smaller 1 because there are 2 wires that connect to the hard drive. and when i put it back in my computer doesnt work right anymore. thats all i did

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 05:14:52 PM »
    Please reread the above post and don't be defensive about us asking questions. I thought you were the one asking for help. We need to have clear terms and direct answers to provide any help.  ::)

sam510

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 01:49:59 PM »
    sorry about my behavior im just a little mad about my computer but here is the make and model. i have a hp pavilion a720n i pulled out the gray data cable not the multi colored 1 with 4 dots inside it