Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstall OS?  (Read 4607 times)

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-that's me!
    Reinstall OS?
    « on: June 23, 2006, 04:42:35 PM »
     My computer stopped recognizing my cd and dvd.  They're listed in the Device Manager with yellow !  and it started happening when I was installing a Norton upgrade - it said it would delete Norton and reinstall whatever.  My computer crashed, I uninstalled and reinstalled Norton and then noticed the absence of the drives.  I tried uninstalling them and restarting the computer, the drives are not reinstalled, or rather, they're reinstalled but still don't run.  I called Norton, they said Norton doesn't mess with the drives (yeah, programs never run wild...)and they hung up on me.  I called Dell and they told me to reinstall windows because the drives are corrupted, same advice from TEAC.  I'm willing to try something else before taking this drastic step - I hate reinstalling everything.  Any thoughts?  I'm attaching my Hijack This file.  Thanks!
    AASlater

Operating System   Microsoft Windows XP Professional  
       OS Service Pack   Service Pack 2  
       DirectX   4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)    
      Motherboard:  
       CPU Type   Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)  
       Motherboard Name   Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2  
       Motherboard Chipset   Intel Canterwood i875P/E7210  
       System Memory   1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)  
       BIOS Type   Phoenix (02/19/04)  
      Storage:  
       IDE Controller   Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers  
       SCSI/RAID Controller   Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller  
       Floppy Drive   Floppy disk drive  
       Disk Drive   ST3120026AS (120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)  
       Disk Drive   Disk drive  
       Disk Drive   Disk drive  
       Optical Drive   SONY CD-RW CRX216E (48x/32x/48x CD-RW)  
       Optical Drive   TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD:8x/4x/12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW)  
       SMART Hard Disks Status   OK  
      Partitions:  
       C: (NTFS)   114400 MB (53346 MB free)  

GX1_Man

Re: Reinstall OS?
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 04:54:22 PM »
    What all are you using for malware protection? I see a lot of Symantec stuff and Spyware Doctor.

What else is not functioning correctly? How old is the machine? Is this the original OS install? What happened prior to this?
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 05:02:16 PM by GX1_Man »

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »
      What all are you using for malware protection?

[highlight]Just Norton SystemWorks and SpyDoctor, both scan and show no bad stuff.[/highlight]

What else is not functioning correctly?  [highlight]Everything else runs right.[/highlight]

How old is the machine? [highlight]About 2 1/2 yrs.[/highlight]

Is this the original OS install? [highlight]yes.[/highlight]

What happened prior to this?  [highlight]I've had some viruses before, but the computer was running just fine lately, it happened when I started to install Norton.[/highlight]

Thanks.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 05:16:22 PM »
      What if you uninstall Norton, and then delete the drives in Device manager and reboot?

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 04:34:40 PM »

What if you uninstall Norton, and then delete the drives in Device manager and reboot?

I tried that, the first thing.  I just think it strange that both drives stopped working at the same time.  That's why I thought Norton did something to it.  It looks like I have no other options.  I'll do it next week when I have time.  I just hate spending 5 hours doing that stuff.  Good thing I have a Maxtor to back up my stuff so it'll be easier to reinstall everything. :)  I'll check here one more time before I do it, just in case someone has an idea.  Thanks!

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 07:28:58 PM »
        A good imaging program can change that from 5 hours to 10 minutes! What's your time worth?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832200204