Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Components Wizard  (Read 3133 times)

rlprlp

Windows Components Wizard
« on: June 24, 2006, 08:03:29 AM »
I have a question about the Windows Components Wizard that I was wondering if someone who knows would be kind enough to answer.  My OS is XP Home with Service Pack 2.  The instructions read: "To add or remove a component, click the checkbox."  The word "or" is what's confusing me.  Are the instructions trying to tell me that if a specific component's box is checked, if that component is installed, it will be removed, AND if that component is removed it will be installed?  In other words, all checked components will go "vice-versa" of their state before the Wizard is run?  The reason I ask is because I am trying a trick from a book entitled "Windows XP Hacks" that uninstalls Windows Messenger (never once used it; never will).  And if my understanding is correct, how can you tell whether a specific component is removed or installed? Is there a way, or are you just supposed to work with one component at a time (in other words,do you need to know beforehand if a specific component is removed or installed)?  Thank you to all who take the time to answer my question!

GX1_Man

Re: Windows Components Wizard
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 08:09:25 AM »
Yes if you uncheck it, it will be removed. If it was blank and you check it, it will be added.

Be careful with hacks, tweaks, etc. You can get yourself in serious trouble.  ;)

rlprlp

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »
Absolutely! That's exactly why I copied the file (sysoc.inf, by the way) before I ever even opened it.  Thanks for taking the time to help!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 01:54:21 PM »
You're welcome. I hope that gets you all fixed up.  ;)