Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost files?  (Read 2642 times)

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Lost files?
    « on: June 27, 2006, 07:41:19 AM »

I have a client with an IBM laptop (Windows XP Pro SP2) who was a member of a domain . I created a new profile & changed him to a workgroup. I was able to log in with the new profile, see shares, add printers, etc. on the new workgroup. I’ve been able to copy his Favorites & Desktop to his new profile.

My problem is this: If you go to Explorer\Documents and Settings\old profile\MyDocuments, there is a folder beneath named “My Recent Documents”. In the folder are many shortcuts, in fact, all are shortcuts, to various locations but mainly the ‘Desktop’. I’ve looked in his old profile and the desktop, nor any other locations indicated, have any of those files (lots of Excel, PP, Word files).

I’ve done a search (including hidden files/folder) and come up with nothing.

He insists that he saved them in his My Documents folder (I’ve checked and the default location for opening a file in Excel, for example, is the My Documents folder).

Ideas?
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    Re: Lost files?
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 07:48:35 AM »
    Well the new location would be "My Documents" - but as for the location before you changed him over to a workgroup...?

If you can't find anything using the Adminstrator account, using "Find files", then they're not on the laptop.  Possibly they were in a Briefcase-like store under his old profile?  Otherwise, I would guess that the files are all on the domain's file server.  That seems logical - yes?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 08:18:47 AM »
      Well the new location would be "My Documents" - but as for the location before you changed him over to a workgroup...?

If you can't find anything using the Adminstrator account, using "Find files", then they're not on the laptop.  Possibly they were in a Briefcase-like store under his old profile?  Otherwise, I would guess that the files are all on the domain's file server.  That seems logical - yes?

I agree, though he swears that he had recently worked on some of those files on the laptop.  

I've done a search using wildcards (*.) with various extensions and have come up with nothing.  

Oh well, he has hard copies of everything and it will be a pain to recreate them but I guess that's what he's going to have to to.

Thanks for your reply.

Alan <><
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 09:30:17 AM »
      I don't suppose there's any chance of talking to the I.T. guy responsible for that domain?  I'm just wondering if they were using an encrypted filestore (which of course wouldn't come up on your search).

Hmm...  Why is your post count 7 when you've only posted 2 messages?  Profound mysteries...

Not that I'm complaining; 7 is a perfect number, after all: Deo Gratis/<><  ;)
      « Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 09:30:51 AM by robpomeroy »

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 04:42:37 PM »
        I don't suppose there's any chance of talking to the I.T. guy responsible for that domain?  I'm just wondering if they were using an encrypted filestore (which of course wouldn't come up on your search).

I don't know.  All the references were shortcuts, no files or folders in that particular subfolder.  I could check with the guy and see if he still has contacts with that company, though I know he's left if some time ago.    :-?

Hmm...  Why is your post count 7 when you've only posted 2 messages?  Profound mysteries...

I leave those mysteries to Someone else to figure out...I've got enough of my own

Not that I'm complaining; 7 is a perfect number, after all: Deo Gratis/<><  ;)

Agreed  ;)

Deo Gratis

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 01:24:28 AM »
        Have you tried right-clicking on the shortcuts, selecting "Properties" and finding out where the shortcuts are actually pointing?  That'll give a big clue.

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 08:20:31 AM »
          Have you tried right-clicking on the shortcuts, selecting "Properties" and finding out where the shortcuts are actually pointing?  That'll give a big clue.

Yes, I have.  They are all shortcuts that point to a] folders or files on his desktop in his old profile b] a location on a "\\" UNC connection, probably to the old domain. The "Start In " area in blank on some files/folders.  

That's the strange part.  When I copied his old desktop to his newly created profile desktop for the current p2p network, there are folders that correspond to the shortcuts, but no files that those shortcuts point to. :o  When you dbl-clk on them, the screen 'blinks' and nothing happens.

I noticed something today.  While checking the Event Log I found that he was part of an Active Directory domain that might have had a GPO.  He also has a mapped drive that I can't get access to.

Well, I talked to him yesterday and told him all the searching I've done and he said that's just the way it is and he'll deal with it.  :'(

I sure hate to let him down but without prior knowledge of how things were set up it makes it next to impossible to "make it right".

Thanks for your help  ;)

Alan <><
          Deo Gratis

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
            • Me
          « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 09:14:21 AM »
          Surely you should "by magic" be able to produce those files, even though they're not on the computer?  :)

Or perhaps you should lay hands on it...

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
            « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 04:54:02 PM »
            Surely you should "by magic" be able to produce those files, even though they're not on the computer?  :)

Or perhaps you should lay hands on it...

I'd like to lay something on it, but it wouldn't be my hand...more like a sledge-hammer  ::)

Nice talkin' to ya  ;)

Alan <><
            Deo Gratis