Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player - video capture?  (Read 2208 times)

ThisIsNotHappening

Windows Media Player - video capture?
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:55:54 AM »
I was wondering if it's possible to capture video clips on Windows Media Player - I know how to capture images from DVDs, but I wanted to capture clips from DVD movies. I already have a program (WinDVD) which allows me to do this, but the quality's really poor and someone told me that it's possible to get better results from Windows Media Player. The sort of thing I was thinking of would be a DVD (just a movie) and capturing a ten-second or so clip from it. Any help would be much appreciated!  ;D

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows Media Player - video capture?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 02:16:29 PM »
I've never captured video but http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=video+capture+with+WMP&btnG=Google+Search yielded some hits that may have the solution.  

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »
They might be talking about Windows Movie Maker.  This program (comes with Windows XP) allows you to capture video.  I don't know about the quality as I've never really used it.  Hope this helps.
Back In The Game

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 04:53:56 PM »
I tried capturing video from a DVD using Windows Movie Maker and it would not work.  If I click on "Capture from video device", WMM tells me "A video capture device was not detected".  

I have captured video from connecting my digital camera in webcam mode.  Apparently, WMM only works with devices such as digital or movie cameras, webcams, etc.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 04:56:08 PM »
In answer to the original question, no, media player is just a player.