Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: excel - solver function  (Read 2527 times)

schedule-r

excel - solver function
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:04:33 PM »
Here's an excel question:
When using the solver tool, how do you lock cells from changing.  I have a model where the sover is helping me make a work schedule.  I am using the solver to vary a range of cells until the schedule "solves" iself (specifically a binary integer linear program).
Here's my question:  
      The solver does its work by changing a range of cells; however, there are a few cells in here that I NEED to take the value that I want.  Dollar signs do not seem to do the trick.  I have a very small working knowledge of excel, and there may be a very simple remedy to this problem.  If you can help or point me in a direction where I can find an answer, it would make my next few evenings easier.  

Thanks!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: excel - solver function
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 09:16:49 AM »
I've been an Excel user for years, but I've never used this tool.  Here's a Microsoft reference: Introduction to optimization with the Excel Solver tool.  I don't know whether it answers your question.  A Google search on Excel Solver will yield numerous other references.